The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Perl install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PaulBZ, Aug 29, 2009.

1. PaulBZ

PaulBZ Registered

Aug 29, 2009
    For the last three nights, something, presumably cPanel, has done a new install of Perl 5.8.8 on my system. The problem is that this install is missing modules that were part of the previous version. Specifically Image::Magick module is missing, but it looks like Digest::MD5 may also not be working properly. Attempts to instll these modules have failed. I've also had issues with the Template and HTML::Template modules, but this may have been while the install was running.

Our site relies on these modules and without them it's unusable. Our hosting provider has tried to resolve the issue, but our site was down for 7 hours the first night, 3 hours the next and an hour this morning. In all cases I've insisted that they restore the server from backup just to get it going again.

Obviously there's some issues with this Perl install, so the question is this: how do I stop cPanel from reinstalling Perl? I've set all cPanel updates to "never", told it not to upgrade Perl and, at my hosting providers suggestion, commented upcp script out of root's crontab. However, none of this worked and it did another Perl install this morning, breaking my site again.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Is there something else that could be triggering this update?

I'm seriously considering putting a firewall rule in to block all access to to try and stop this. Yes, I realise this will probably have other implications, but having my site trashed every night isn't acceptable.

We're running: WHM 11.11.0 cPanel 11.15.0-R17665
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.7 i686 on virtuozzo - WHM X v3.1.0

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Please open a support ticket

What you are describing should obviously not be happening. Our tech support analysts will gladly help you find the root of the issue.