Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

browser thinks /index is a download file!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by john@coolsoluti, Jul 18, 2004.

1. john@coolsoluti

Hi All,

I am having a weird problem on my server. it seems all my other accounts are working correctly but the root account http://www.cooolsolutions.biz doesn't load!

the browsers think there is a downloadable file there and Windows pops up the 'save/open/cancel' box.

i did some dns tests and all that, it seems all the internet routing is working okay.

i tried searching for anything on this, including virus, etc. anybody have any suggesstions?

should you want to contact me directly, i can be reached at AIM:mr360solutions
    many thanks!

2. chican0

chican0 Well-Known Member

I am having the same problems too sometimes. I found that my Interner Explorer homepage is set to my website www.soychicano.com. When I try to launch IE it would try to open soychicano.com as a file named /

I tried other websites on my server and only a small handfull had the same problem. The similarity between these few websites with the problem were that they all had Google's AdSense ads on them. I removed the ads from www.soychicano.com and relaunched IE without any problems.

I am not sure what the problem is exactly and I am not for certain that it has to do with Google's AdSense ads but I do know this started on my site soon after Google was hit with the MyDoom virus a few days ago.

I have the Google AdSense ads back on my site and the problem has only happened a few times since I put the ads back on.

I hope someone else can offer a better explaination to this problem or a solution.

3. plastic

plastic Member

I don't know if this helps you but I had this problem from time to time also on other sites.
    This is wat I did to resolve this issue :
    In IE.
    Go to Extra => Internet Options => Advanced => Scroll down to Options of HTTP 1.1 and mark both the options (put a V in it).
    press ok and this worked for me, however I'm not connected thrue a proxy server.

Hope this helps you guys

4. chican0

chican0 Well-Known Member

Well, I had one of the Guys from JustManaged.com to check out my server for me and found some problems with the kernel. After updating it and a few other minor discrepancies, the error mentioned in this thread ceased.

I am not a guru at this all so I really have no idea what exactly he did that fixed the problem. I suppose it is a multiple of things.

Just thought I would share that info.