The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brute Force Protection Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pomicio, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Pomicio

Pomicio Registered

Hello Everyone-

I don't understand what is going on. I got to my WHM, and I enter in my username and password once, and receive the Brute Force Protection problem...I have made sure that the password is correct. This is only happening on my computer...I have logged in from work just fine, but when I'm on my home computer, I cannot access WHM or cPANEL....

Has anyone ever experienced this or know of anyway around this? I really need to access WHM..

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. smartads

smartads Member

Hey Kevin,

Check you IPTABLES rules within your firewall. You probably exceded the amount of times you needed to loging correctly before being blocked for brute force protection.

Verify that your firewall settings are set to either: a) ban forever, b) for only a period of time like (30000sec). If your firewall is set to ban IP's forever, you will have to manually find your home IP address to unblock that IP within your (FIREWALL DENY IP'S) list.

In the future, try using a rule for up to 5 or 10 login attempts before blocking that IP address. My firewall will block forever, but no one else needs access to login on a regular basis. This may be different in your case which you may not want to block IP's forever.