The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUG - Big problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Custom-Hosting, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Custom-Hosting

Custom-Hosting Well-Known Member

Hey
    My hosting site used the username "admin" then a reseller setup a domain with the username "Admin"
    Last night the reseller forgot the password to his domain, so first he requested the password to be emailed out (cPanel feature)
    I got a link in my email to reset the password for the account, because the username was Admin, I thought maybe it was for my domain, so I left it.

Because the reseller didnt get the email he needed to reset his domain, he decided to delete and recreate the site.

cPanel then deleted both accounts because they had the username admin and Admin, even though it allowed the reseller to create a seperate account using the same username, only with a cap A

So I had to restore a backup for my whole site, which was old because hte latest backup had writen over the one from the previous night

This is the first major bug I have noticed in cPanel but its one that Im obviously not happy about as it could cause so many problems.

Make sure you let your resellers know about this problem or even check the accounts they create and the username as it could end up deleting your account or an account another reseller owns

2. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

CONFIRMED!

I have just tried this on my test server and can confirm that accounts with the same username are all deleted. There is no regard to the use of capital/lowercase letters in the deletion of accounts.

I suggest you submit a bug report to cPanel asap. I'm going to check to see if I've missed a setting in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up!

3. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

And to make matters worse, it's really messed up all the account lists!

DOH!

I've just found out that when terminating an account, cPanel leaves behind all the account details in the following sections of WHM (and on the server)

Terminate an Account
    Modify an Account
    Suspend/Unsuspend an Account

Can anyone else verify this? If you've removed accounts from your server and they are not listed in the List Accounts link of Account Functions, they should not be in Terminate an Account or Suspend/Unsuspend an Account links.

I've got loads of previously terminated accounts in these sections and on my server

[EDIT] It seems that using the Terminate Multiple Accounts link does it properly. Terminate a Single Account has the problem [/EDIT] I think!

#3 zappz, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Looks like cpanel needs to use the same logic when someone
    uses uppercase in the domain name field, it will change the characters to lowercase when they enter the username field on the fly.

This way, it should come up wth username already taken.

5. genoxide

genoxide Registered

what version of whm are u using? in 9.1.0 whm makes all (usernames/domains) in lowercase so it if u entered 'User' it will make it 'user'

6. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

9.1.0 , I confirmed it by modifying the account username in WHM. Then carrying out the deletion.

7. genoxide

genoxide Registered

wait, when u create a new account named 'User' (example) it adds it as User or as user?, or when u go to modify the selected username 'user' u make it User and it stays that way?

8. genoxide

genoxide Registered

I verify this, when i try to change some user's username it somehow gets unlisted from the norma list of accounts, but its viewable in the termination list.
    ps: ignore the previous post if you were talking about this, because i though you were talking about what Custom-Hosting said before.

9. Custom-Hosting

Custom-Hosting Well-Known Member

Could someone that has an account with the bug tracker please submit this?
    I dont have an account with it but think this should be reported if anyone has already registered I would appreciate if you could submit!

Thanks to everyone that tested, I think the account was created before 9.1 as it existed before then.

I would have thought this would have been tested before or someone would have noticed it.

Glad its been found now and others know about the problem so it can be fixed :)

10. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

I've just checked and it would appear this bug was reported by Reporter: mike@cpanel.net (Michael Photakis)