The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug in "Modify An Account" Username change messed up reseller account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sexy_guy, Mar 28, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

There is a new option in "Modify An Account" where you may now change a users username to something else. This option really messed up our resellers account. This option may work if the user is not a reseller but dont use it if your going to modify a reseller.

We had a user who wanted to change his username because he didnt like the prefix in front of his package names showing up as andreen_package1. He wanted it to show as unisol_package1. For that to happen we needed to change his reseller accounts username. Upon changing the username all the accounts under his reseller account dissappeared and those accounts setup by the reseller we on the box but were not attached to his account anymore. He then tried to recreate the same sites but WHM was telling him they already existed. So I went into WHM and deleted the lingering accounts no longer attached to his account, so he could recreate them under his reseller account. Well, big mistake! Instead, WHM deleted his master reseller account as well.

We had to recreate his reseller account again. Now, not only were all his unlinked accounts deleted but his reseller account was also deleted. :confused:

2. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Curious, but why didn't you just change ownership of his accounts to his new username?

WHM should have taken those lingering accounts and moved them to root, allowing you to move them to the new username.

It does sound like a bug, but a bug you didn't have to run into (It's a temporary solution).

Have you submitted the bug?

3. chrisben

chrisben Member

go to /var/cpanel/change the username using mv

After check in whm

Let's see what happens, create a test account and do it

Chris
    Firewall security Agent
    Matrix Solutions
    Coimbatore

4. brandonk

brandonk Well-Known Member

There is a file in /var/cpanel that is username.accts - this holds the reseller domain info. You'd need to move this account file after changing the username... too bad you didn't post for help here before taking such drastic measures.

5. sexy_guy

Howcome this msg is pinned? I didnt know i had pinned abilities!! :D

6. Admin356

Admin356 Active Member

Anyone know which file to edit to remove the ability to change the user name or domain from the Modify account form?

I don't mean remove the modify account from WHM options, just removing certai spects of it, changing user name and domain name is problematic.

7. bjohns

bjohns Registered

My ? follows Admin356, in that I'm a newbie to this cPanel, and on the first account I added the domain name without the www. So how can I change it to include the www? Or do I have to delete, setup new account and re-publish. The site can't be found without the www on the web. Thanks in advance.:confused:

8. marius

marius Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The site will be found with or without www
    Check under the DNS Functions / Edit a DNS Zone. You'll see what I'm talking about.

9. techark

techark Well-Known Member

This really does need an option to not allow changing of user names on certain accounts. I give ownership of a reseller account to the reseller so they can adjust their space and features at will. But then they go and change their own user name and now they no longer have a reseller account since it was granted ownership under the old user name plus they have lost ownership of all their accounts under them and all their packages.

So I have to then go back set them up again as a reseller, change ownership back to their new reseller account, plus change ownership of all their accounts plus, I am left with all their packages as orphans on the server and they have to go and create new packages and set all their accounts on them.
    2 tickets last week and one today where I have had to do this.

Need someway to keep a reseller from being able to change their own user name.

#9 techark, Apr 15, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2003
  10. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Lobotomy?

11. Admin356

Admin356 Active Member

I think having the option for being able to disable user name / domain name changes if desired is a must.

12. s3kk3y

s3kk3y Well-Known Member

The way I create resellers accounts, and most others here, is to setup the resellers using a dummy domain (ie: theseareformyresellers.com), then assign that account to a modified theme where they can only change their passwords (since for some reason, is not an option in the reseller WHM).

Doing it this way is a bit more, but a lot less hassles down the road. All they would have to do is setup an account for their domain that they signed up for with you.

13. techark

techark Well-Known Member

Ive done it both ways and found draw backs to the other way.
    Much easier to keep track of this way and they have more control over their account.

No problems up until the change user name was allowed.

14. IronMug

IronMug Member

I also had an interesting thing happen. Regular account, changed username, everything was okay until I went in to do some database work via phpMyAdmin and much to my surprise it said I had no databases. So, I changed the username back to what it was and walla, there's my databases. Also showed "0/unlimited" in the CPanel screen, so must just be a missing update to some file or table in the update script.

15. concreteman

concreteman Well-Known Member

Originally posted by techark
    Need someway to keep a reseller from being able to change their own user name.
    Nope tried the labotomy but it didn't help and caused a headache.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

16. boyforeigner

boyforeigner Well-Known Member

I recommend do not use modify username in anyway.

see what I did:

rename: xxxx ->> yyyy
    create a new account with same old name: xxxx
    terminate: yyyy

Result: It killed both accounts less the mysql.
    It happen because there are bugs and not all logs are changed.

17. sexy_guy

This topic has been pinned for the longest time. When is this going to be fixed?

18. jiaxiang

jiaxiang Registered

Facing problems with email too!

Hi!

I've another experience with changing usernames.

when I changed username from oldUsername -> newUsername, the login is fine, but the default email is not.

When an email is sent to a non-existent account at the domain, i get the following error:

>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
    >
    > oldUsername@serverdomain.com
    > (generated from nonexist@mydomain.com)
    > Unrouteable address

Even though the username has been changed to newUsername. No matter what I specify as the Default Address, the problem remains. Also, the serverdomain is revealed to the originator.

Anyone has a solution?