The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug in Park Domain Wraper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Misiek, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I found a bug in park domain wraper.
    I have a domain let's say domain.com i want to park somethingdomain.com the effect :
    Error from park wrapper: Sorry, subdomains of the hostname cannot be parked.

Which is not true cause its not a subdomain.

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

I am not able to reproduce the issue you mention. What version of cPanel are you using? Are you doing this via the interface or an API?

Thanks!

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the main domain on the account also being improperly set as the hostname for the server? The only way I could see this happening would be if domain.com were also the hostname (hostname -f command will show in root SSH the actual hostname).

If an account were created that is the same domain as the hostname, then an addon domain is created such as somethingdomain.com on that account, a subdomain called somethingdomain.domain.com will try to be created as well. Since domain.com would be the hostname in that instance, somethingdomain.domain.com wouldn't be able to be used. Now, if you are actually parking the domain (somethingdomain.com) rather than trying to use an addon domain, then I'm uncertain why you would receive that error message.

We do not recommend setting the server's hostname to be the same as an existing account on the machine. If you are the root administrator of the machine, please confirm if domain.com is the server's hostname or not. If it is, please change the server's hostname to be something else such as server.domain.com using WHM > Change Hostname area.

4. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

The hostname of the server is : dedyk1.somedomain.pl
    The domain i was trying to PARK not ADDON is : somedomain.pl
    The domain on one on accounts is domain.pl

My cPanel version is : 11.30.5 ( build 3 )
    I tried to do it via user panel with root login on port 2083.
    When i did it thru WHM via park a domain everything went ok.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you were trying to add the domain that is associated with the hostname to an account, since the hostname is a subdomain off the domain you were trying to park.

While the message should have noted that the main domain of the hostname cannot be added via cPanel, the function to not allow that to be added would be legitimate. This prevents a user from trying to add the main domain of the hostname using cPanel if the hosting provider hasn't already created an account on that machine associated with the main domain for the hostname.

The domain is definitely associated with the hostname. You wouldn't want a user to be able to add that domain normally. You would want it to be something you can add in WHM.

There is a setting in WHM > Tweak Settings > Allow users to park subdomains of the server’s hostname that can be set to "On", which would have allowed creation of that domain. Again, while it isn't a subdomain of the hostname, it is the domain that the hostname is based on (the hostname is a subdomain of that domain you were trying to park).