The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug in WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-R113

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by intel352, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intel352

intel352 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I have 2 accounts on my dedicated server that had almost exactly the same username:
    soundch
    soundcho

I went into WHM to change the account username (via Modify an Account), changed soundch to scontent, change was implemented, and then suddenly soundcho was inaccessible via the web.

As it turns out, cpanel apparently just did a find/replace on all instances of soundch (which means soundcho became scontento) in the apache config files.

I had to manually edit the apache config files to undo cpanel/whm's stupidity, restart apache, and then all was well.

If someone wants to tell me where bug reports can be filed, I'll be glad to open a ticket. Otherwise, this thread will likely be ignored by whm developers and the bug will never get fixed (looking at WHM's history...)

Why my company ever went with WHM, I'll never know...

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

Post bugs here: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/

Please don't gripe about the "whm developers". There's plenty of support in the forums, if you just ask nicely...

One would expect you to be able to answer that yourself by now, since you've been a member of these forums since 2003! :cool:

3. intel352

I'm not looking for support, I was able to fix the problem caused by their sloppy coding. I'm griping about the WHM devs because their work IS sloppy.

As for my being a member since 2003, when I had my first dedicated server, I made the mistake of going with the CPanel/WHM management solution, and that was the only time I ever made that mistake. I now easily recommend Plesk, HSphere (from psoft.net), DirectAdmin (awesome, shame no billing added in).

I made these recommendations to my supervisors when they decided to move the corporate sites from shared to dedicated, they opted for CPanel/WHM despite my recommendations (due to being familiar with CPanel), and now we're having to pay for their decision and WHM's ineptitude. I bear the brunt of it, considering I'm the guy that has to clean up whenever WHM decides to screw up the server.

It's poorly coded software, glitchy as hell, and is NOT an enterprise solution. HSphere, Plesk, DirectAdmin are ALL more elegant and properly coded. WHM is just a cheap hack thrown together that has achieved popularity because of it's CPanel counterpart.

Just because I have an account here, that doesn't mean I opt to use the software.

4. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Re:

hi,
    Nobody is PERFECT and life has BUGS too, and if you just intend to promote the other options only I can list many of bugs in them too.

How can you be so sure to point cpanel/whm be the cause, may be only your installation has problems.

Personally speaking cpanel/whm is the best option for managing a webserver and even a 10 year old kid can earn his bread and butter by it, this has a lot of things to come and join the revolution, you want to keep your A** away you can just go away.

This forum is a great place for help, for both who wants and who can.

See ya,
    mohit

Many of members would be happy to see this topic CLOSED.

5. intel352

I know WHM was the cause, as for whether or not it's my specific install, I doubt that. The product should function the same regardless (a find/replace to change an account username on the apache conf file has nothing to do with installation specifics). It's just idiotic coding in WHM.

Granted, WHM is more stable than it was 2 years ago, but again, that's not saying much...

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

And that's enough abusive language. If you have a problem with cPanel take it up with them using the contact information on their site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.