The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUG REPORT: cPanel Backup is missing files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by <esc>, Jan 17, 2010.

1. <esc>

<esc> Member

While investigating pkgacct to generate a custom backup script for my servers I realized that doing a Full Backup triggers this bug, either from CLI (/scripts/pkgacct <user> <destination> userbackup) or from the cPanel user interface. The backup is incomplete.

The reason for this seems to be that pkgacct calls gtar as <user> which can not open files in the <user>’s home directory which are owned by someone else and not world readable. This situation occurs e.g. when those files are written by Apache/PHP and are owned by nobody.nobody.

These errors are logged to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log and go back for me at least to the starting time of the log.

Erich Schreiber
    --
    cPanel 11.25.0-R42404 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9, CENTOS 4.8 i686 virtuozzo

2. <esc>

<esc> Member

I just found out that this is already a known bug: Bug 9281 - Serious issue backing up nobody files which was opened in the cPanel bug tracker on 2009-06-09. It was confirmed by Kenneth Power the same day.

I too consider this as a serious bug, not only for backups as for cpmoves too which are created by this script. Many CMSs and similar software rely on resources which are uploaded to the server via a web form and are stored in the file system. Those files will be skipped if they are not world readable and in cases where they are written as nobody.nobody.

Strangely enough the bug-tracker is closed meanwhile. Quote: “During some recent self-evaluation, we came to terms with the fact that Bugzilla is no longer helping us meet our customer service goals and may not be the best tool to help us improve our product”. Read more here …

Erich Schreiber

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  4. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Try executing this
    /scripts/pkgacct2
    instead of:
    /scripts/pkgacct

And see if the problem still.

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Infopro is correct; bug reports are now handled via our ticket system as we have found this is more efficient and allows for greater discovery of detail (e.g., with access to investigate where needed). The link is as mentioned in the top-right corner of the forums; for convenience and quick-access here is the link to report bugs.

For reference, per Bugzilla ID #9281 comment #7 there is an active internal case #28118 for tracking the related feature request; specifically, it is a feature request to provide a mechanism for backing-up files located in the user home directory but that are not accessible to the user (e.g., due to varying ownership and access permission combinations).

#5 cPanelDon, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. <esc>

<esc> Member

Thank you everybody for your comments. Especially to Infopro who provided a link to an interesting thread which discusses related questions and to cPanelDon for the assertion that 'there is an active internal case #28118 for tracking the related feature request'.

@Me_388: I have no pkgacct2 on my system.

Erich Schreiber