Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Bug(s) in /scripts/restorepkg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marty_parish, Jan 12, 2008.

1. marty_parish

marty_parish Registered

Hello,

I am trying to restore a cpmove file and I keep getting this error:

/scripts/restorepkg usage: /scripts/restorepkg [--skipresellerprivs] [--force] user

Security Note: It is recommended that you do not restore a package from an untrusted source.
    If you choose to ignore this warning, you should use --skipresellerprivs to minimize the risk.

So, I'm thinking wtf! I have restored hundreds of them without this happening. I couldn't find any solution so my last grasp was to look at the script and try to see what is triggering this error.

When I looked at the script I was pretty shoced to see such bad coding.

if (grep(/force/i,@ARGV)) {
    $force = 1;
    }

if (grep(/skipres/i,@ARGV)) {
    $skipres = 1;
    }

Are you kidding? In the first if, it checks @ARGV for "force". What's wrong with this?
    1) If the word "force" is in my cpanel username the script goes into force mode when I did not tell it to!
    2) Should not be case insensitive!
    3) It should be checking for "--force"

All of the above apply to the second if as well and what is up with checking only for the "skipres", when the switch is "--skipresellerprivs".

Now, let's look at this block where I found my problem:

if (!$user || $user eq '' || !@ARGV || grep(/help/, @ARGV)) {
    print "User: $user\nARGV @ARGV\n";
    print qq{$0 usage: $0 [--skipresellerprivs] [--force] user\n};
    print qq{\n};
    print qq{Security Note: It is recommended that you do not restore a package from an untrusted source.\n};
    print qq{If you choose to ignore this warning, you should use --skipresellerprivs to minimize the risk.\n};
    exit(0);
    }

Why on earth is it grepping for "help" and then dying? My username was "esshelpd" and I could not proceed because of this. I have modified my copy and now have no problems.

Here is what I did:
    grep(/--force/,@ARGV)
    grep(/--skipresellerprivs/,@ARGV)
    grep(/--help/, @ARGV)

I'm surprised that I couldn't find this issue anywhere on the net. I mean any username with "help" is going to fail.

Regards,

Marty

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good catch.

I created a bugzilla report for this (hope you don't mind, it still your bug since you were the one that discovered it). You can read the bug report at:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=6265

You may want to consider creating a bugzilla account and if you find a bug, post information about the bug in the forums, but also create a bugzilla report and link to it in your forum thread so that it will get attention.

3. marty_parish

marty_parish Registered

Thanks for filing the report! I was just thinking that I should have done that instead of posting it here.

Marty