The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs in the CPanel Script?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kat7, Mar 20, 2004.

1. kat7

kat7 Member

I host my domains as a reseller on OneFusion.

My customers and I can no longer FTP into our sites.
    This situation has now lasted 3 days so far.

Caleb Kow of OneFusion maintains it is the buggy script of CPanel and that CPanel is not providing help in fixing the problem :mad:

Is this the case?

Caleb Kow's remedy is to change me to Plesk a "rock solid system" according to him.

In December their root directory box was compromised causing all of my domains under this reseller account to have their index pages trashed by some middle eastern alligned radical nut.

I have always insisted on hosting with someone who runs CPanel. If indeed CPanel has become this unstable I will reluctently look for another system.

What say the owners and developers of CPanel?:confused:

2. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Cpanel works fine. You need a new NOC. Your current one is incompetent.

3. peddler

peddler Active Member

Few problems

I have very few problems with CPanel and if I do, they are resolved quickly. You may need to look in another direction to solve your issues.

4. Lippy

Lippy Active Member

Simply put, there have been some instances where Cpanel has had a bug or a bad update/release. But in all cases there were fixes either by Cpanel or in the forums here. I have yet to see a bug that causes FTP not to work, and currently the 7 servers with Cpanel I manage are all working fine.

5. kat7

kat7 Member

FWC ... what is a NOC?

I just wanted to find out where the incompetence was exactly.

6. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

NOC = Network Operations Center (i.e. your web host or data center)

7. kat7

kat7 Member

Thank you.

I suspected that was the problem.

I am becoming a bit frayed with people selling service that is crap or unreliable. I have 29 domains that now need to be moved AGAIN.

Is there any way to find really reliable service that offers CPanel?

This company has cost me considerable time and money due to its incompetence.

8. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortunatly this is becoming a growing trend. You have a lot of people running hosting companies who cannot handle the simplest of issues that come up. Too many have the "it's simple cPanel will do everything for me and I do not need to know anything" attitude. Experience is the key to any successful company. It is hard to find sometimes which companies are good or bad, basically word of mouth is usually the best way to find out. Check out people signatures, if they post look at their posts to guage knowledge and if you have a few sights ask for a trial period for one of your sites so that you can see how things work.

9. kat7

kat7 Member

Thank you with your help ... it is greatly appreciated:)

10. elleryjh

True. I've also read a lot of messages like this where the host finds it easier to blame it on cPanel than to fix the server or answer simple questions. Sometimes hosts don't even answer questions at all.

11. elleryjh

One more thing: before you sign up with any company, do a google search for the name of your hosting company and the word review/reviews. In the first 10 or 20 results, there is usually a review page on a forum or review site. Your host has some mostly bad reviews there.

#11 elleryjh, Mar 20, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  12. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

A few years ago it costed money to set up a hosting business and most hosting companies were serious, but things changed the last few years. Servers got to be very cheap and people started coming up with the idea of running a server by expecting cpanel to do everything for them so all they needed was $100/month and no knowledge. Now I bet half of the hosting "companies" out there are are being run by people who don't know any more about running a server than most of the end customers.

A few good ideas have been mentioned, like checking signatures and home pages here for possibilities, doing a google search for more info, and checking posting history for an idea of knowledge. Another method of research is to see past copies of their websites. That can be done at http://www.archive.org/web/web.php .

It's much harder now to find reputable hosts. That means more research is needed to find them.

13. akashik

akashik Active Member

'nuff said :)

14. steveedge

steveedge Member

Similar problem

I have a similar problem, my hosting reseller, HOSTDIME is telling me that C-Panel has a broken link in:
    (Mail Icon) mail/add-remove/read webmail
    Note-Main account link works but the sub-accounts links do not.

My clients and I get an error; "unable to find /path/etc..." when trying to check webmail via the read webmail link in ALL sub accounts....

HOSTDIME's only response has been to tell me an alternate path to type in because IE is breaking the link in C-Panel....I can't ask my clients to type a path, jees.....

I have since checked the read "web mail" links in:
    Mac IE 5 OS 9
    Mac IE 5.2 OS X.3
    Netscape 6.2 Mac OS 9
    Netscape 7 Mac OS X.3
    Safari 1.2.1 Mac OS X.3

The links work in none of these browsers...So finally I get to my question;
    Has anyone here had this C-Panel bug/problem ? or does it sound like a HOSTDIME problem ?
    I can't believe C-Panel would allow a broken path in a release. Any help greatly appreciated. I need to fix this before I loose clients...

15. elleryjh

Actually yes, I had it too. I thought it was just me though.

I fixed it myself, but this should certainly be reported to cPanel.

16. steveedge

steveedge Member

fix

When you say you fixed it yourself, do you mean you changed something in c-panel on the server ? I don't have access to config. c-panel, but maybe i could pass your fix on to my web host techs ;)
    Thanks,

17. elleryjh

I just recreated webmailform.html with a link to my webmail login php page. I have a php script that manages webmail logins, but of course you can just redirect or to http://domain.com:209[5/6]

Now that I think about it, cpanel may have removed this due to IE's disabling the user:pass@domain notation which was used.

18. jeffbkane

jeffbkane Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
  19. steveedge

steveedge Member

Thanks

I appreciate the info. folks. i am passing it on to my "techs" and even sent them a link to this thread so they too can become....enlightened.

Just to make sure I am not confused here, you are saying that my server admin. needs to change a line in webmailform.html ?
    I am at a disadvantage here, this is a reseller account. i have admin'd webmin in apache but i have never worked on the server side of c-panel. I am just passing this info. to my host...
    Thanks again,

20. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good 'ol Caleb and OneFusion.

I've had personal experience with this company in 2002 and stopped using them, would never recommend them. Too many problems with uptime/downtime and things just not being what they said.

A) If FTP is not working it is because of something somebody did -- and did it wrong

B) If one version of WHM does not work it is too easy to switch to another and bring back 'whatever' service was having problems. Although we use Edge exclusively, there have been times when there was a problem and switching to Release or Stable fixed the problem. Then switched back to Edge when 'whatever' was fixed.

I cannot see excuse for a Service being down for 3 days unless somebody didn't know what they were doing.