The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Apache via WHM

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by n1zyy, Jul 23, 2004.

1. n1zyy

n1zyy Member

It's time for us to upgrade Apache, and I just noticed you can apparently do it now in WHM. (I don't know if this is a new feature, or if it's just that I rarely come down to that section of the menu?)

Anyway, is there any reason to run easyapache from the command line instead of doing it via browser? I like the idea of being able to do it in a browser, I just don't know if I'm losing any abilities or whatnot if I do.

Also, I notice that PHP5 is now an option; along with 4.3.8. They're both checkboxes, and neither notes that one precludes the other. Can they coexist peacefully? How do you specify which to use? (I've never worked with PHP5, but someone on our server is intrigued by it.)

Possibly newbie-ish questions, but:
    * What's the difference between "PHP suEXEC Support" and "suEXEC Module"? The latter is checked currently; the former is not.
    * Since when has gzip been experimental? I see "Gzip Module (experimental) (Version 1.3.26.1a)" near the top. I could've sworn I've run servers with mod_gzip for YEARS? Or is this something different?

2. dazerrackers

dazerrackers Well-Known Member

Hi, first of all i'd stay with 4.3.8 in php and leave all the other boxe's as they where when you enetered the 'Build Apache' page.

3. n1zyy

n1zyy Member

So PHP5 shouldn't be run? I know it's marked as "Testing," but has anyone tried it yet? Based on the fact that it's separate from 4.3.8, I was under the impression that they could work side-by-side. I've got a user who's excited about PHP5; he knows it's a 'beta' thing still, so if it was buggy that would be okay.

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Stay with 4.3.8 or it may break some scripts, I think this is why they have the testing in there.

5. n1zyy

n1zyy Member

I'm still not clear on whether 4.3.8 and 5 can run together or not. I'm getting the impression they can't?

6. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    they cannot be run together.

go with 4.3.8 for now because some things dont work with php5.

7. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

i personaly wouldnt upgrade to php 5 untill they release ANOTHER release afterwords

as im sure there going to be bugs..and such..

so if php 5.0.0 id wait till php 5.0.X

just my 2cents