The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bulk modification of email forwarders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by schwim, Aug 23, 2014.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there folks!

Google helped me find this thread: http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/can-you-edit-e-mail-forwarder-moved-55489.html

Which is close to my question, but I thought I would update the query(I couldn't find/access anything in /etc/valiases due to a permission denied error).

Does such a capability exist yet? I am loathe to delete and recreate the hundreds of forwarders I have but I am unable to find anything concerning export/modification of forwarders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

What exactly in /etc/valiases is it you wish to bulk modify? Do you have root access to the server?

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

I am attempting to bulk modify hundreds of forwarders on the same domain that point to the same address. In the thread I linked, it was stated that the file I needed was there and that it was accessible by non-root. I do not have root access to the server and am unable to traverse to /etc/valiases/mydomain.com .

4. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

5. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, this is what I'm having to do to achieve forwarder modification

1) In Backups, choose to download backup for domain. Open in text editor to ensure that all addresses are accounted for. Do a bulk replace for email address.

2) Deleting mass forwarders: Doesn't seem to exist. Deleting 300+ forwarders entails

Click "Delete"
    page load
    Click "Delete Forwarder"
    page load
    Click "Go Back"

Repeat this for all forwarders.

3) Go to Backups.

Choose to upload previously modified file. Select and upload.

At bottom of import, [An error occurred while processing this directive]. No forwarders imported.

Strip any fail addresses or php pipes from text file.

Upload backup file. All address show as successful in import process. No error reported.

No forwarders are imported.

Create a text file with a single forwarder in the format of:

forwarder@domain.com: address@domain.com

This import shows as successful. Forwarder not imported.

I'm now manually inputting all 300+ addresses into the domain due to the fact that the backup file fails to restore the addresses.

Any thoughts on getting the forwarder backup to actually restore the forwarders?

#5 schwim, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest consulting with your hosting provider to see if they can complete this for you. They will have access to the /etc/valiases directory in order to directly modify the file associated with your domain name.

Thank you.

7. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your reply, however in the time between my post and your response, I manually deleted and recreated all 300+ forwarders. Fingers crossed I get to revisit this issue in the near future. If I'm lucky a future cPanel update will add one or two more confirmation steps in the deletion and creation process:

;) All in good fun ;)