The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bypass horde login page

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 4now, Feb 8, 2007.

1. 4now

4now Member

hi

is there a way to bypass the horde login page. I've set direct links to horde - but it always brings one to the 'select language' login. There is one click too many to access the inbox - and it irritates some of my customers.

thanks so much

2. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

3. DGermancp

DGermancp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
  4. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, Dennis. I realize how it may have seemed confusing. Instead of starting at the beginning of that aforementioned post, you can instead start at post #36 by cpanelkenneth:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showpost.php?p=296394&postcount=36

In a nutshell, cpanelkenneth (a cPanel employee) has taken it upon himself to fix the very problem you (and I) face - getting Horde to bypass the silly login page that asks for your language. Furthermore, I wanted my users to be taken straight to their Inbox, so I found a way to do that, too.

Here's a guide I've prepared. Please try it out & let me know what you think!

Matt

P.S. - The instructions below will give the user the choice of Horde or SquirrelMail. There is a way to simply take the user directly to Horde & bypass the additional step. I know this because I've done it, but I can't remember the exact method. I think I just tweaked the "Submit" button on the custom Webmail login form itself (below). I just eventually decided to give the user a choice since I do have certain clients that have problems with Horde & need SM.

----------------------------------------
    How to customize Webmail login for two-click access to Horde Inbox:

The instructions that follow assume you would like to have a “master” Webmail login page you give to all your customers. In other words, the following guide does not allow for a webmail URL that contains the customer’s domain name. Instead, it assumes you will give ALL your customers the same Webmail URL for them to remember, based on a pre-determined “master” domain name (i.e. the domain name of your company.)

1. Replace the “/usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/login.php” file with the one cpanelkenneth posted at: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=22905 . This will bypass the language selection “Log In” screen you would normally see after already “logging in” to Horde. It also fixes a couple other things, yet also may introduce a couple extra bugs—be careful!

2. Create the following index.htm file on your Website (best practice would be to ensure this new sign-in page is on a secure site):

Code:
    <h2 align="center">Webmail Login</h2>
    <form action="https://cpanelserver.domain.com:2096/login" method="POST">
      <div align="center">
        <table> 
          <tr>
      <td width="87">Username:</td> 
      <td width="288"><input type="text" name="user" size="35"></td></tr> <tr>
        <td>Password:</td>
        <td><input type="password" name="pass" size="20"> </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><div align="right"> <input type="submit" value="Login"> </div></td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2"><div align="left"> <b>Note: Your Username is your full e-mail address!</b></div></td></tr> 
        </table>
      </div>
    </form>
    This new login page pre-accepts the user’s login info & passes them to the Webmail login function to allow you to give pre-instructions to the user & customize the look & feel of the login screen itself. In this example, no pop-up login box is ever displayed to the user.

3. Edit the “/usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi” file as follows:
    - Change the text for Horde that reads: “[Full email address required to log in]” to “[A full-featured graphical Webmail program.]” This is just to add clarity of the user’s choice & remove the text that says they have to login when they’ve already done that.
    - Change the text for SquirrelMail that reads: “[Full email address required to log in]” to “[A simple text-based Webmail program.]” This is just to add clarity of the user’s choice & remove the text that says they have to login when they’ve already done that.
    - Change the “/horde/index.php” links for Horde to: “/horde/imp/mailbox.php?mailbox=INBOX” This will take the user directly to their Inbox after clicking on “Horde” rather than to the main Horde menu where they would then additionally have to click on “Mail --> Inbox” to actually see their Inbox.

Written by: Matt Wilson, Matt @ ClearChoiceIT . com
    Last updated: March 4, 2007

5. DGermancp

DGermancp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for the CLEARification

6. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Man, I'm slow this morning. Took me a bit to figure out why you emphasized CLEAR in your reply.

Hehe! Gonna go take some more caffeine...

You're most welcome, by the way.

Matt ;-)
    CLEARchoice IT Services

7. zippohosting

zippohosting Active Member

Make Sure I understand

Thank you so much for taking me here..

But I want to make sure that this is going to do what I need it to do....

Users do this:

1. Go to www.theirdomain.com/webmail
    2. It takes them to the Horde Login screen
    3. They login to Horde
    4. They are in Webmail

No Icons To click to Login
    No Lanague To Select

What confused me is you said stuff about a login page that all domains would use...

I need to make sure that http://www.yourdomain.com/webmail allows them do what I listed above... they would NOT do it from our domain or some master page we wrote up.

Hopefully this fix will do it - although I still see I have to bounce around and get peices - wish their was one thread - one simple fix :)

Thank you for your time.

8. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

You're most welcome for my time! :) But my instructions aren't for what you're wanting exactly.

I do believe what you're wanting is possible (and I may have already done that while preparing my own howto), but I don't recall at this time the sequence of events or reasons why I opted out of the "domain.com/webmail" route.

Also, I unfortunately don't have the time at the moment to go back and figure it out again. BUT, I can guarantee you, though, that by going ahead and following my instructions (without making any changes), you'll come across all the information/files you need to tweak to do what you're wanting, assuming it is, in fact, possible. It may be as simple as just replacing the horde login.php script with cpanelkenneths & then modifying the /usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi file to redirect the user to the horde login link (/horde/imp/mailbox.php?mailbox=INBOX).

Feel free to share if you find a solution, or if I get curious enough to step away from my other responsibilities, I may revisit the topic on another server of mine to see if I can engineer what you're wanting.

Matt

#8 kemis, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  9. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

This does not seem to apply anymore. There are no such references in my /usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi

10. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

I noticed that since cP 11, my changes were lost, but I've yet to go look into re-setting it back up...

I just logged on to check a few things out & noticed that there is (now?) a frontend folder in /usr/local/cpanel/base that has a folder for each theme.

Inside the frontend/x folder lives a file called webmaillogin.html. This appears to be the starting point for what you see on the Webmail login screen, but I think the "Read Mail Using Horde" type captions are part of $CPDATA somehow in the following line:

Code:
    <cpanelif !,$CONF{'skiphorde'} && !=0,$CPDATA{'FEATURE-HORDE'}>
    Either way, those parts of the instructions aren't really necessary. They were just fluff in case you wanted to change the option wording.

Does the rest of it work, or is the whole thing shot to hell with cP11?

Thanks!
    Matt

11. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

Yes. I have pieced it together. I wish I could avoid it getting wiped out on an update though.

12. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing any major differences/notes that you had to change from my How-To?

13. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

Nothing major. I will look at my notes tomorrow and post.

Custom Horde Configs:

Default to INBOX INSTEAD OF HORDE

/usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/config/prefs.php

// what application should we go to after login?
    $_prefs['initial_application'] = array(
    'value' => 'imp',

REMOVE LANGUAGE LOGIN:
    replace /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/login.php

with login.php provided by CpannelKenneth

DEFAULT TO ENGLISH LANGUAGE

/usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/config/nls.php
    file,

just changed from
    $nls['defaults']['language'] = '';
    to
    $nls['defaults']['language'] = 'pt_BR';