The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calculating size/requests of WHM backup to predict AWS S3 pricing?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by LeonardChallis, Jun 27, 2016.

1. LeonardChallis

Jan 31, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,

I want to enable WHM backups and send the backups over to Amazon AWS S3. Before I do, I'd really prefer to have some idea of the parameters we're talking so I can predict costs a little better.

Using this calculator (Amazon Web Services Simple Monthly Calculator) I can enter values to get a rough idea. But as I've never used the backup I'm not sure how to figure out the values:

PUT/COPY/POST/LIST Requests:
    GET and Other Requests:

Is there a way to guesstimate the size (and/or compressed size) of the backups?
    Will it be transferred as individual files, meaning lots of PUTs? Or fewer?

I suppose GET/other requests will be more down to how often I access them - on a normal basis I won't be getting them at all, just for disaster recovery. Presumably the backup system doesn't make routine requests I should know about?

Thanks for any information or reading you can suggest on the matter.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You could generate a local backup for a few of the accounts to get a better idea of how close the archives match to the disk space usage of the account. Documentation on how to package an account is found at:

/scripts/pkgacct — Package a cPanel Account

The archives are sent to the remote destination in their archived format, as opposed to sending the individual files associated with the account. That said, support for remote incremental backups is planned for the future. You can follow the progress at:

Support for remote incremental backups

Thank you.