The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calculation of maildirsize

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pjo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. pjo

pjo Member

Hi,

Could anyone explain me or direct me to information how the maildirsize file is calculated. As I understand this is updated every 4 hours.

The issue I'm facing is that from time to time the sync with the size reported and the actual usage of disk space on the server is inconsistent. I have to contact my provider each time to have it corrected. They reply to me that I'm the only one having these issues out thousand of mail users. But the issue stays unresolved.

The issue is with a mail client Evolution 2.32.2 running in a Linux environment against cPanel 11.28.87.

#1 pjo, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Whats the issue you're having exactly? Your mail client reports a different size of your mailbox from what your server says it is?

3. pjo

pjo Member

No the issue is on the serverside.

/frontend/x3/mail/pops.html is reporting 23 mb used of 450 mb, while for the same user /frontend/x3/diskusage/index.html reports 315 MB. And this is not due to time difference.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When viewing this user on the diskusage page and expanding the tree under: mail > domainname > username you may have multiple directories listed. .Drafts, .Junk, .Sent, .Trash, and others. Is there any clues there as to the exact directory using that amount of space?

5. pjo

pjo Member

.Sent 186 MB
    cur 130 MB

This is rounded figures as the mailbox is in use.

#5 pjo, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    So the issue here then is the: /frontend/x3/mail/pops.html page reporting only 23 mb used.

Just out of curiosity on my part, at bottom of the pops.html page theres a link:

"If you need an interface that uses less JavaScript click here."

When you click that, the page changes, are the details here any different? Not sure this matters just wanted to see if it mattered here.

On that same page, there's a dropdown to select a function. What happens here if you selected this particular account, and change its quota from 450MB to 500MB save and go back to pops.html (or pops_noscript.html)

Assuming the quota will change as expected, but does the usage stat change or does it still show 23MB or so?

Did your host mention what they'd done to correct this each time you've contacted them?

I think you might do best here to contact cPanel directly via the Bugs link at top of this forum and get them in for a closer look.
    http://go.cpanel.net/bugs

7. pjo

pjo Member

Now I have reduced the quota, logout and in again. It is still the same 23 MB. Extending the quota makes no difference either.

"If you need an interface that uses less JavaScript click here." reports the same.

What will happen if I delete the file maildirsize for this particular user? Should the software not itself be able to calculate the correct size?

There are some advices on the Internet that's how it should be done. Can you confirm this?

My host has not been explaining what they have been doing, but I guess that they use the supplied standard script supplied by cPanel for root to do the job.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure you could do that if you wanted to try. I wouldn't suggest deleting anything though, rename the file instead to effectively kill it.

Not sure what that script is offhand.