Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CalDAV busy/free availability feature

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by acn, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. acn

acn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

The documentation on CalDAV mentions:

"cPanel & WHM's Calendars and Contacts Client Configuration feature (CalDAV) does not support Horde's Free/Busy system for third-party applications.
    • We added support for Free/Busy searches from within Horde Calendar.
    • We added a Free/Busy URL for each webmail address Horde."
    Given this statement is from 2015, is there any info on whether this feature will be available outside Horde, for third-party CalDAV clients, at any given point in the future?

As a side-note, I've been using CalDAV with the native Calendar Windows 10 app for some time now and it works just fine with my personal calendars, but it doesn't connect to any Shared calendar. The shared calendars are listed, but no events are pulled from the server.

Regards

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @acn

This should have been available to CalDav users as of 11.52 of cPanel 11.52 Release Notes - 11.52 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

It should connect to shared calendars but may depend on the specific device/client being used. Do you see this issue with other clients?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acn

acn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the reply.
    No, not really. Even Microsoft doesn't openly support CalDAV either - the support is there specifically for iCloud accounts, but it can be used for any other CalDAV service.

Thanks for the info - I guess my question is more practical then: how do we get busy/free information on a third party client, for our CardDAV users (i.e. Shared Global Addresses directory). At this time I'm using emClient on Windows, the builtin iOS apps and macOS's Calendar, and can't see how to make it work.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    To clarify have you had the issue with shared calendars when using another mail client - while we offer the service it may be that some mail clients don't support all the functions.

It should work automatically if trying to schedule something on the calendar that is busy it should not allow that time slot.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acn

acn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the comments.

Still on the busy/free features, and as I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I grabbed this screenshot of what I'm trying to enable on the different devices I mentioned earlier (I don't have the Windows machine nearby):

scrn.jpg

So the client should automatically be able to check the attendee's availability without any particular CardDAV configuration?

Thanks again

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @acn

I need to clarify, I was incorrect. After talking to someone on the team responsible for the implementation of CalDAV we do not support the busy/free search. It looks like I misread an internal case. We don't have plans to implement support for it in the near future due to limitations of the upstream software.

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks!

7. acn

acn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    No worries, thank you for the clarification. I'll mention though that - IMO - this would be one very significant feature for small/medium sized businesses that use CalDAV as their main company calendars.

Best regards

8. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @acn

I agree with you and I think a lot of other users want to see activesync specific features implemented into the product as well. There's a feature request here that you may want to vote on ActiveSync with Horde 5.x

I believe that the free/busy search would be something that would be included with activesync services for CalDAV. Unfortunately, while it does say planned as is definitely planned, it may be a while before it's implemented due to the limitations of upstream software as mentioned before.

Thanks!

9. acn

acn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well, actually ActiveSync would definitely be much better than any CalDAV+CarDAV implementation. It would be excellent, in fact.
    Voted up, thanks for suggesting the link.

10. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @acn

Yea, it would be pretty great! I'm glad to hear you voted on it!

Thanks!