The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a cpanel account have www hosted externaly

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by luka83, Jun 23, 2011.

1. luka83

luka83 Registered

We are in process of migrating accounts to a new cpanel / whm centos vps server from linux and windows servers. Obviously we cannot port asp over night and need a propper dns zones set up so that for the time being we can still utilise domains on windows server.

The problem is that all tests have shown that we cannot have a cpanel user account with a dns zone that has www subdomain hosted externally. Which doesn't make any sense. Because our new nameservers are returning all the proper records. But instead of an expected page hosted on windows we get this account's home public_html directory listing from vps.

It could be that the test is wrong, but since this is a production environment I want to be absolutely sure that things will work once I change nameservers at registrars.
    The difference between old dns zone and new dns zone is only in nameservers and added A records for cpanel and whm. When I enter new vps's ip in my computer hosts file for www.somedomain.tld, I get an unexpected resault in web browser, that insted of displaying content from windows server shows user's public_html directory listing from new vps.
    Then I did a similar test, except that I entered old linux vps's ip (the one that has the same dns zone, but not a cpanel user account) into my computer's hosts file for www.somedomain.tld and results were as expected and windows content was shown in web browser.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to edit the WHM > Edit DNS Zone and change the CNAME or A record to an A record pointing externally. I've edited DNS zones on my cPanel machines before in WHM to change the location of the www.domain.com versus the domain.com entries.

To show this is possible, I changed my www.tristanwallace.com domain to point to another account and didn't revise tristanwallace.com location. This was simply done by editing WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone, selecting my domain, then revising the following:

Code:
    www 14400 IN CNAME tristanwallace.com.
    To the following:

Code:
    www 14400 IN A 208.74.124.112
    At this point, the two locations show different content. I'm uncertain how precisely you are editing these zones and what you are putting for the zone details. If you are hosting the zones externally, you should still be able to do it like I've noted above on the external machine to have www having different records. I've done this at my domain registrar before as well.