The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any DNS expert perhaps help?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Frankc, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Frankc

Frankc Well-Known Member

Hello guys

I want to setup something rather different from most servers and hope one of the dns experts can perhaps help.

What I want to do is to somehow setup a "PERMANENT" Ip address for my nameservers.

What I meant by "permanent" is an IP address that will not change when moving between servers.

Explanation

Our registrar require both 2 nameservers AND their ip addresses and every time that we move to another host we need to update that IP addresses. (Use the same nameservers)

ns1.nameserver.com ip 111.111.111.111
    must change to
    ns1.nameserver.com ip 222.222.222.222

Potential solution

Signup for a dynamic IP address for nameserver.com with Ip address 333.333.333.333

This Ip 333.333.333.333 can now act as permanent Ip address for my nameservers and point to my server IP address. It can be either 111.111.111.111, 222.222.222.22 or changed to whatever.

The nameserver records at the registrar will look like.

ns1.nameserver.com ip 333.333.333.333

My actual server and nameserver IP's can however be any IP address since the dynamic Ip 333.333.333.333 will automatic resolve to / follow such changed ip addresses.

For me it make sense but whether it would be possible and the how-to is a bit above my experience.

Thanks in advance

2. jerrybell

jerrybell Well-Known Member

There really isn't a good way to do that. There really aren't dynamic IP addresses, as you mentioned. Some options:

get your own IP address space (can be hard, particularly if you're small)

purchase a dns hosting service through a 3rd party company (or set up a sharing agreement with one) to be the 3rd, unchanging dns server.

3. Frankc

Frankc Well-Known Member

This seems like a better option and I already considered it to try and get a few people so that we can share to cost of a server for this purpose. Unfortunatatelly a bit difficutl to get such people.

The problem with dns outsourcing is that it is expensive and even secondary dns services cost a lot of money.

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Check out everydns.net