The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Anyone Help or Explain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CanaDave, Mar 26, 2008.

1. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Hello to All

I'm a new member, and a real estate guy who developed a number of private sites a few years ago. It seemed to make sense for hosting that I have a reseller account - but just for my sites.

It's been working great. Until several days ago.

When I try to access c-panel from either my primary (Root?) account, or any other domain I get "Cannot Read License File".

I get the same prompt when trying to access webmail.

The sites are all up. I can log in through Dream Weaver but not FTP.

Does this make sense to anyone ????

Thanks

CanaDave

2. Rickvz

Rickvz Well-Known Member

Do you have a reseller account through a hosting company? If so, you should contact them so that they can check on the license. If you have a dedicated server then you should run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt from a shell prompt and see if you get an error message. You would need to contact whoever you purchased the server from to find out more.

3. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Holy Cow !!!

4. Rickvz

Rickvz Well-Known Member

Hope you can get it sorted out with them. There is really nothing you can do since the hosting company holds the license. They would need to make sure it is up to date.

5. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Rickvs

Thanks for your time. I'm one of those people who knows alot more than most about the internet, but not near enough to survive on my own. And this hosting company was small, and local (about an hour away) and would always pick up the phone if I had a problem.

I know they have a number of grass roots type resellers.

I don't do much, and I've cut back to 145 real estate related sites, most small but with good SEO and returning well in organic searches .... and a very big part of my business.

And I guess that's the scary part ..... I don't know where I could go if this problem doesn't clear up .. but tonight I can't update a site or check my e-mails. which is a problem.

Thanks again.

Dave

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Drop whatever yur doing and backup everything, if you can. ;)

My2

7. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

and don't forget your databases if any. In fact a full server backup and download would be great ASAP. If they pull the plug and close doors you may never get your data.

8. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Thanks ... great advice

Is there a way to do this more than one folder at a time ???

Dave

9. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Without CPanel access or some sort of SSH login, you're probably stuck with FTP'ing the data off. Do your realty sites pull data from an idx or mls feed? If so, you can ignore that aspect of the database as you can easily pull that data again after a move.

You might want to write a quick dirty script to output raw, comma delimited data for other data (broker/agent names, contact information or lists, visitor profiles, etc) to the browser - which you could then save to a .csv file for import later through phpmyadmin if a move is imminent.

You can probably tell I've done this once before for someone, wasn't fun. Good luck - post back and let us know how you make out. :)

10. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Thanks so much to everyone.

Most people would call my sites extremely small, no data transfer or IDX, and I don't keep any data base / contact info on this server.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It looks like what ever was wrong isn't wrong anymore. I am back to complete access.

Still without an explanation however and the host company phones no longer work.

It would probably be prudent to look for another reseller account as insurance, load some sites up and be ready just in case. I have really liked working with the guy and would hate to jump ship if he's going through a bumpy patch.

Any ideas ?? I'm a small user with a small budget, I know all my colours and I don't eat much.

Cheers and thanks to all .... I'm sure I'm going to have more questions.

Dave

11. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From past experience (before I was my own host) I would say you should backup everything now, and put together an emergency move plan if you don't have one in place now. Do a little research, talk to some companies and have a backup host in mind. Also if you don't routinely backup any database that is dynamically changing on a daily basis, now is the time to start. Even if it's just logging into cpanel and doing it every other day or so.

Then just wait. If the host is one you trust and they have been good in the past they certainly deserve the benefit of the doubt. Could be that they had some DC issues and were swamped with calls jamming up the phones all day. Every host has some issues at some point during their life-cycle. No avoiding it.

But it never hurts to be ready for it when disaster comes knocking. ;)

12. CanaDave

CanaDave Member

Servesphere

Very sound and balanced advice, thanks.

I guess I have some searching to do.

Thanks to all .. I just found this forum yesterday and in reading a number of threads trying to figure out if my problem had already been addressed I found a community that clearly is open and trying to help each other.

Very nice.

Cheers .......... CanaDave