The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can connect to cPanel when connected directly to Cable modem, but not from router

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RCinSTP, Feb 10, 2014.

1. RCinSTP

RCinSTP Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I can connect to cPanel when my computer is connected directly to Cable modem, but not when I connect a router to the cable modem and then connect my computer to the router? Any ideas?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you're not able to connect when the router is brought into the equation, it would sort of seem like the issue is with the router. You didn't indicate what specifically you're seeing as far as error messages are concerned, but a couple things you can check:

1) can you get to cpanel over the proxy domain? ie http://cpanel.yourdomain.com

2) does your router have any sort of port limitations configured? (even so, #1 should get past this)

3) were you able to connect to cpanel over the router previously? If so, and you can't anymore, it's possible you're dealing with a server firewall issue. I don't see this being likely though unless when the router is connected your public IP changes, which is unlikely since you're still going out through the same modem to your ISP.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it sounds like your router is filtering the traffic and blocking the cPanel ports. Check your router settings to see which ports it's blocking. You can find a list of ports used by cPanel at:

cPanel - Ports Used

Thank you.

4. RCinSTP

RCinSTP Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have two NetGear routers. I reset the WGR614v10 to factory defaults and connected my computer directly to the WGR614v10 and I could not login to cpanel. I swapped the router for an older NetGear MR814 and connected my computer directly to the MR814 and then I could login to cpanel.
    I looked at the settings for both routers and I tried to find some difference in the settings between the two routers but wasn't able to find anything. I also checked and did not find any port filtering or blocking.
    Is there a way to tell what is different? Can I find differences by using ipconfig?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest consulting with the support team of the router that is blocking the traffic. They should be able to direct you to documentation or settings that you can modify if the router's administrative control panel.

Thank you.