The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can CPanel do Radius Authentication?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blinger, Apr 6, 2007.

1. blinger

blinger Registered

looking into getting CPanel...Contacted the sells team but the guy is out until monday. I'm wanting to know if Cpanel can integrate with Radius servers and do Radius Authentication:confused:

2. eagle

eagle Well-Known Member

Kicking an old thread, but the threads on this subject (about four) are not responded to, so I consider it a waist to open another one.

Does anyone have radius authentication icw cPanel active or is studying on it?

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    IMO, Cpanel is a web hosting platform and that is what it should stick to. Radius Auth on a Cpanel machine really doesn't make sense.

1. Anyplace needing RADIUS auth should be using one or more dedicated servers
    2. Companies actually needing RADIUS auth for dialup / broadband authentication should be large enough that they can spare even the simplest of machines (even old ones) to run RADIUS on.

Putting RADIUS auth on Cpanel just doesn't make sense.

But, if you wanted to have RADIUS installed on the machine there would be no problem just installing it with your favorite package manager and configuring it. On a redhat-based system, for instance, you could just use RADIUS auth via the PAM module or passwd. Sure, no fancy frontend to configure it, but there are web-based frontends out to manage users. Of course, if you weren't wanting all of your hosting customers to be able to authenticate you'd want to use some other authentication mechanism than passwd or PAM - perhaps a MySQL database.

This isn't meant to be a flame - but i really dont think Cpanel should ever consider this. The demand isn't there, and if it is then it isn't a sensible demand.

Mike

4. tomdchi

tomdchi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It makes sense depending on the application. I am trying to get this to work now. I have software on one of my cpanel websites that bills for internet access and can use radius for provisioning. I don't want to have another box for it as it would be a waste of time, money, electricity. I don't think this is something cpanel should build in or anything but I wish there was more documentation on how to do it. I can install freeradius but it installs in the /usr directory and I need it in one of the /home subdirectories.