The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Cpanel support 2 different internet service provider IP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neiltan, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Neiltan

Neiltan Member

Can Cpanel support 2 different internet service provider IP? I have a load balancer that connected with 2 different lease line. When 1 of the ISP line down so that have another 1 ISP line backup immediate. Kindly need u all guys opinion. Thank you.

2. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This has nothing to do with cPanel. What you need is to have PI ip adresses and set up a BGP router where the two different provider's lines connect to. You'll have to work this out with both of your providers to set it up correctly.

Otherwise, if you try the cheap version, you'll end up with different IP numbers when one of the lines are down, which will in turn make all your servers stop responding.

3. Neiltan

Neiltan Member

Thank you. David. But beside using BGP router, is it still have any suggestion?

4. internetfab

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Not really I'm afraid. Since all the servers are working off on static IP adresses and all your customers domain names as well, you need to keep the same IP address - which leads you to the BGP router and your own Provider Independet ip-adresses.

5. jefferyw18

jefferyw18 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I Was Able To Use 2 Static IPs From My 1 ISP By Useing This Setup, You Could Try The Same

1 Way Is Haveing 2 Network Interface Cards And Using The IP's From Both Cards
    Or What I Do

**USE THIS METHOD AT OWN RISK**

Go Straight From The Modem Into A Hub/Switch NOT A Router Giving Off 192.168.x.x
    So You Would Be Recieveing 2 WAN IP's Straight To Your Server

And If You Want A LAN Setup You Would Then Just Plug The Router Off The Switch

Hope That Helps

6. internetfab

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That's fine for your own computer, but when it comes to DNS, apache and so on..
    It's just the same as if you suddenly would switch your cPanel server's IP number all of a sudden. All the DNS records will still point to the old IP number until you change it, and then you still have to consider the visitors ISP's TTL for your domains. I would say a downtime ranging from 0-48 hours at least. (and thats after you chance the IP in the zonefiles and dns server).