The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can email account be for addon domain (needed for SSL)?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by thomasadler, Jan 24, 2012.

1. thomasadler

thomasadler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi!

I have cPanel version 11.30.5 (build 6) access.

I have domain, this domain has subdomain and there is one another addon domain, which points to the mentioned subdomain. I managed to create e-mail account in cPanel for subdomain (cPanel displayed addon domain name in the available domain names for email account, one can access the new account from subdomain.com/webail, altough the only option here is password update, no incoming or outgoing mails).

The problem is, that my Outlook express provides error message remote server said: 550 This domain is not hosted here as a reply to any attempt to send mail to the new account. It happens even for rather old accounts. It is not possible to configure email clients for this account as well - simply email client can not complete initial tests of receiving and sending mails.

It is confusing a bit. Is it possible to create email accounts on add-on domains at all? And if yes, how to troubleshoot problems? And if not - then why on the Earth cPanel allows to do that.

I would like to assign ssl sertificate to add-on domain and that it why I need email account precisely for subdomain. Actually - is it possible to assign SSL for add-on domain (I don't need SSL for any other domains, subdomains or add-on domains that are sitting on the same IP).

Thanks in advance.

2. thomasadler

thomasadler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Some website is accessible from addon domain and maybe that is why some Apache redirection rules are prohibiting to access email account normally. It is also funny that it can be visible from cPanel that addon domain email account has some 700 bytes used quota, not 0. How it is possible to see the content of this email account?

3. thomasadler

thomasadler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    And just another update about troubleshooting the issue - I made new outlook account and as incoming and outgoing email servers for my addon domain email account I selected not the addon domain names but domain names and after this outlook could complete tests and create new account. I checked the email directory content on the cPanel and there were Outlook test mails on the addon domain account!

So - this is really confusting - after all - is there possible to create addon domain email accounts?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, you can create email accounts for your Addon domains. Email accounts for Addon domains are no different than email accounts for any other domain name.

Yes, as long as the account is assigned a dedicated IP address you can install a SSL certificate for your addon domain name. Please note that you can only install one SSL certificate per IP address.

You can view the contents of your email account via FTP or File Manager, assuming you only have cPanel access. The file path is:

Code:
    /home/username/mail/domain.com/email-account
    You should ensure the DNS for your Addon domain name is pointed to the cPanel server. If it is, could you let us know the full error message you are receiving?

Thank you.

5. thomasadler

thomasadler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Microsoft Outlook Error message (about undelivered email to addon domain mail account) was:
    remote server said: 550 This domain is not hosted here

Usually I can ping mail.mydomain.com and in my situation I can ping both mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com now, and also I can ping myaddondomain.com, but I cannot ping mail.myaddondomain.com (answer is "Ping request could not find host mail.myaddondomain.com"). I guess that cPanel creates additional DNS entries (about server and maybe - about mailserver as well) upon creation of addon domain and I guess that in this time the DNS entries for server were created but entries for mail server were not create and the solution can be to add entries for mail server manually. But where can I check or do this?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The "A" record for "mail.youraddondomain.com" is added automatically when you create the addon domain. However, are you sure the addon domain name uses name servers pointed to the cPanel server? If it does not, then you need to manually configure the DNS on the remote DNS host.

Thank you.