The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Exim be forced to . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PbG, Mar 12, 2004.

1. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

I am realizing the server does not send email out to the net pursuant to RFC/MX rules governing the MX priority when the receipient is also local. Eg: domain.com resides on the following servers:

server1
    server2
    server3

The MX records in each of the zone files for domain.com prioritizes that mail be sent to:

server1 first (0)
    server2 second (5)
    server3 third (10)

What happens is that mail from each of the respective servers ie: upcp, alerts, etc. get sent to default address on the box it originated from. I need it to ignore the local copy of the domain and send it to the internet in accordance with the MX priorities for the zone.

How can this be accomplished?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What you are describing is perfectly normal for MTA's, i.e. they will perform local deliveries before trying to send off-server.

If you have a local domain that you do not want emails delivered to locally, then you need to remove them from:

/etc/localdomains

3. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding Johnathan. . . before I do that:

Will removing the domain from /etc/localdomains affect the domain and/or services for the same in any other way?

Will email for the domain removed from the server eg: root still be delivered after a DNS lookup and pursuant to the MX priorities?

#3 PbG, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  4. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

I dont want to deliver to it locally ie: root to domain. I want to deliver to it only after a DNS lookup according to MX priority. In other words I want the local copy of the domain to be ignored first. Next a DNS lookup performed that says this domain is at wherever and has a MX priority for Server1, 2 and 3 in that order. Then deliver the same accordingly . . .

In effect this forces email from servers 2, & 3 to route mail for the domain to server 1 even tho' there is a copy of the domain on the server it originated from.

If removing the domain from /etc/localdomains will accomplish this without affecting anything else great.

Please confirm/deny?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

As thaphantom said, removing the domain from /etc/localdomains will mean that there will be no local delivery, only delivery to the MX records.

If the lowest MX record is the same server and it comes in, it will not deliver because it is not listed in /etc/localdomains, catch 22. If you're not worried about that, i.e. you never want that domains email deliver to the server that the domain is hosted on, then this will achieve what you want.

6. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

PbG, I'm sure you can find someone (I can if you'd like probably) give you a free alias so you can point the domains to the alias, which will than point the email right back to the server..

It's definitely a work around..but it might be worth it if you absolutely need to do it this way :)

7. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick however since whatever I do is going to result in a trade off I decided to forward the mail from servers 2 & 3 to user@server1hostname. This method can only be flawed by downtime occurring on server1 and even then it will bounce back to the server of origin. Making it still retrieveable with a little extra work.

8. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yep :) No perfect way of doing what you want.