The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can exim forward email through the account IP address?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JIKOmetrix, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JIKOmetrix

JIKOmetrix Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a VPS that is/was on CBL RBL. I have asked for it to be clear. It was a form that got hi-jcaked.

I'm running into a strange exim issue. All of the account on this VPS have dedicated IP Addresses. Exim is configured to send from each account IP address. However it does not send email from forwarders via the account IP address. I only discovered this when forwarded email is bounced or blocked for being on the CBL RBL but email from email accounts is delivered.

Any way to get the server to forward email from the account IP address too?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Kasper

Kasper Active Member

Re

Apparently it happens due to the checks applied for sender_address_domain for remote_smtp transport in exim.conf.

In case of the forwarder, the variable sender_address_domain used for the IP lookup in "remote_smtp" is useless due to the fact the forwarded messages preserve the original sender as $sender_address_domain.

Consider it as

1@test.tld - locally served
    2@anothertest.tld - gets emails forwarded from 1@test.tld

If you send an email from external@gmail.com or w/e to
    1@test.tld

the email is forwarder to
    2@anothertest.tld
    as from
    external@gmail.com

On the remote_smtp tranport time, the sender address external@gmail.com is checked for the records in /etc/mailips and sure thing, not found...

You can always debug the delivery using the command like

exim -d -bt 1@test.tld

@ cPanel guys - are you planning to add a check "if it's forwarded/exists in valiases - use local domain record from mailips for the interface " ?
    I bet the most users would be interested to see it...

Just 2 cents...