Can I create exim email accounts manually?

ArbuZz

Mar 27, 2007
We need to create a number of email accounts from a list of already existing logins and passwords. In other words people are migrating from other mail server and do not want to change their mail client parameters (logins, passwords, POP/SMTP servers). Logins are totally different from Usernames, and naturally different from cpanels standard user naming - [email protected] Is this task accomplishable, either trough cpanel or right from console? Where do I have to search? Where do I have to start? I do not have any experience with exim.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
You're probably going to have difficulty doing that as courier-imap (the default pop3/imap daemon) is configured to use the cPanel authentication method where user credentials are held in /home/username/etc/domain.com/passwd using the [email protected] method.

norelidd

Jan 15, 2007
there probably is a way to reconfigure it, but it probably would not be worth maintaining that reconfiguration against cpanel updates.

It would be better in the long run to do it manually now

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
You can use /scripts/addpop to add email accounts from the command line. They will login with the default mail server in the domain's dns zone and the username and password supplied to the script.

ArbuZz

Mar 27, 2007
Thank you for your answer!

But what if I have multiple domains hosted on the same server, let's say one of the domains is sally.com and I want to create an account [email protected], with username - "dillan" and password "bobby"?

Note the difference in username, login and cPanels way to identify mail users?

Is it accomplishable?

Last edited:

freedman

Feb 13, 2005
Thank you for your answer!

But what if I have multiple domains hosted on the same server, let's say one of the domains is sally.com and I want to create an account [email protected], with username - "dillan" and password "bobby"?

Note the difference in username, login and cPanels way to identify mail users?

Is it accomplishable?
NO..

[email protected] is the USER "bob" which is stored in the password file:
/home/sally/etc/sally.com/passwd

exim, to differentiate this 'bob' from the system user 'bob' (perhaps representing bob.com's hosting account) or from another domains 'bob' (perhaps [email protected]), it needs the @domain.com to know which password file to authenticate against.

So, you *could* have "[email protected]" as a user, and then have "[email protected]" forward to "[email protected]"

then, the dillan person would have a single mailbox, but could potentially receive email to "[email protected]" and "[email protected]" and would login using "[email protected]" passowrd "bobby".

in this case, "[email protected]" is NOT a valid username, because it's not a mailbox, it's just a forward.

Last edited:

freedman

Feb 13, 2005
How would I import a list of email accounts + passwords, from an excel spreadsheet?
/scripts/addpop

it takes 2 arguments, the full email address and the password.

it will figure out which account owns it and what domain it goes to and add it for you.

if you're adding a whole bunch of them, you'll get faster results by modifying the script and enumerate the last bit of code over your list, otherwise, the addpop script will spend a lot of time figuring out who owns the domain for every item on the list.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
Johannesburg, South Africa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, that script literally only takes info from the commandline, how do I use it, to loop through a list with 500+ entries, in the format of "[email protected]" in the first colum & "password1" in the second column?

All users will belong to one domain only, and the passwords are all different, but already assigned on the client's current network.

shaun

PartnerNOC
Verifed Vendor
Nov 9, 2001
San Clemente, Ca
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter