The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I forward nonexistent email accounts when using :fail:?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Canned_Heat, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Canned_Heat

Canned_Heat Member

I want to use the :fail: default to return email addressed to non-existent addresses, except I want to forward a few addresses.

Example:

one@mydomain.com is a cofigured POP account. two@mydomain.com and three@mydomain.com are not.

the two@ and three@ addresses would be configured to be forwared to the one@ address.

If I set the default address for mydomain.com to :FAIL: to bounce mail, will the two@ and three@ emails be forwarded to one@ -BEFORE- they are bounced?

I need to do this because of limited POP email accounts with my hosting service.

Thanks,
    -CH

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

If you set up a forwarder, then the email will not fail. :)

3. Canned_Heat

Canned_Heat Member

I appreciate your reply. However, I am a little unclear about what you mean.

Do you mean:

1. If a "forward" is set up for a specific email address, mail to that address will get thru and be forwarded, and all other non-existent addresses will fail, or...

2. If, when using the :fail: option setting up ANY "forwards" will cause the :fail: option to not work for ANY email.

Thanks for clarifying,
    CH

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

When you setup a forwarder for an email address, that email addresses is no longer considered 'non-existant' and will not be treated as such.

Mail addressed to non-existant addresses will still be handled in whatever way you dictate.

I apologize for not being more clear the first time.