The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I have a wordpress blog using cPanel

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by acmommy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. acmommy

acmommy Registered

I have absolutely no information about cPanel at all. It was a free hosting offered by the site I write for. I want to move my wordpress blog over to this hosting but every time I open cPanel I want to cry. I have no clue where to go, what to do, what any of it means...

Help?:confused::confused::confused:

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

All the info you need cpanel.net

3. acmommy

acmommy Registered

:mad: So I should just quit because there are no answers. I'll just pay for my own hosting somewhere else. I hate cpanel.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Hold up. First things first, your host, whether free or not should be able to assist you with this.

You can surely have a wordpress blog on your account. If you're wanting to back it up from where it was, grab all the files, and the database from MySQL. Those can be restored to the new account quite easy.

If you just want to install a new blog, thats easy as well. Your host might already have the tools installed on your cPanel to do this with a few simple clicks.

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not helpful at all. Why bother posting? :rolleyes:

6. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Lets see, theres a post on a forum from someone stating they have no information about cpanel on a cpanel form. Perhaps the cPanel home page would offer what they need. A wealth of information of manuals, videos and articles.

Not helpful at all? I think not.

7. kbbn

kbbn Registered

cpanel.net

I went to cpanel.net for information about setting up Wordpress. The instructions tell me to go into the Scripts Library and click on the WordPress link in the blogs section. There isn't one. Just B2Evolution. Is that the same thing? If not how to I go about setting WP up?

8. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Through cpaddons wordpress is available IF YOUR HOST HAS IT SETUP.
    Through Fantastico wordpress is available IF YOUR HOST HAS IT SETUP.
    http://wordpress.org/download/ has it even if your host does not.

Yes it is available.

The main point some of the others were writing, was to see your host as they control what software is available in the controlpanel. Only YOUR host (free or paid) can answer what they have allowed. Even if not available as a "click to install" option, it is available on the website of the desired program.

In these forums we can tell you what is (potentailly) available, but we can not know what has been activated by your host. They are not being mean, or ignoring you, when they tell you to ask your host, they are giving you the path to the information that you seek.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  10. kbbn

kbbn Registered

Still confused

Thanks. I appreciate the quick response. I'm pretty new at all this so my questions may not make sense.

I've done the install as far as I understand it - downloaded wordpress and followed the instructions on the wp site, consulted the forum and tutorials etc. (more and more is sinking in). However, my latest attempt leaves me with

"error establishing a database connection"

My user name and password are correct. I've tried a few variations on the wp-config, refreshed and ftp-ed the changes up to my subdirectory to see if I had it wrong but the error message stays the same. The hostname (localhost) is also correct as far as I know. My database server may be down but I don't know how likely that is.

The other thing it could be is that my host (ipowerweb) doesn't have Wordpress set up. I have checked ipowerweb and the only blog it seems to support is blogger.

"The main point some of the others were writing, was to see your host as they control what software is available in the controlpanel."

I'm not sure what this means. They want to see my host (hosting company?) as they control what software (what kind of software are you talking about? - blogging software?) is available in the controlpanel. Maybe I don't need to know what this all means.

Only YOUR host (free or paid) can answer what they have allowed. Even if not available as a "click to install" option, it is available on the website of the desired program.

What desired program? I want to use WP - is that the program you mean?

It seems from what you both have said that installing Wordpress shouldn't be a problem even if my host doesn't have it set up (ie. you said http://wordpress.org/download/ has it even if your host does not.)

Does that mean I can use wp or not? And if I can, how do I use it if my hosting company doesn't have it listed on their site? I can phone them if necessary but it seems from what you're saying that I may not need to.

I'm in a muddle. Your patience is much appreciated.

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well the instructions are straight forward, and theres an in depth tutorial over there and a video as well I believe. Not sure how much more can be provided than that.

I will say this though, maybe it'll help. You need to create the database from within your cPanel first. And then create a user, and add that user to your database, first, before attempting an installation. When you do that, you end up with something like this as an example.

define('DB_USER' would be: kbbn_kbbn
    define('DB_NAME' would be: kbbn_kbbnsdatabasename
    define('DB_PASSWORD' would be: whateveryoupicked.

Note the underscore there above on two of the three examples.

They do not mention this in the wordpress install here for step three.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Step_3:_Set_up_wp-config.php

Once you get this all done, there's the configuration of the WP itself you'll also want to read up a lot on too. Else you're sure to be hit by comment and trackback spam in a big way soon enough.

You should be asking all these questions of them. Thats what you pay them for. If they don't have an answer to any of these questions, find a new host that does.

BTW, a quick search for ipowerweb forums, brings back some interesting results.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ipowerweb+forums

Good luck over there.

12. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

Wow, their rap is horrible!

I know someone who still hosts with iPowerweb and they say the uptime is horrible. Why would you host with a company that isn't atleast 99.9%?!

Anyway, I'm not sure what's going on with acmommy. I think iPowerweb has a custom skin limitations that are making it hard for acmommy to navigate around friendly-like. I personally like the X3 theme a whole lot so that's what I use.

Acmommy, if you're interested in moving to a company that values customers, feel free to contact me. :)

13. gregb49

gregb49 Member

Just wanted to say that I was moved to cPanel a while back, by one of my hosting companies. At first it looked strange but I have come to appreciate how easy the scripts are to use, in Fantastico. If your host doesn't have scripts like
    then maybe it is time to move, as suggested above.

14. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

I agree!

I think people start using the first host they find without realizing there are tens-of-thousands of them out there and that some are superior to others.

There's nothing wrong with the person: They just don't know that they can pick and choose what they want for about the same monthly price.

:eek: Google searches don't show quality!