The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I point a new domain to a file in another?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by notuo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. notuo

notuo Member

Hi all.

I am not sure if this is possible. I have a domain (old-domain.com) with some pages (page1.html, page2.html, etc)

Then I got these 2 domains domain1.com and domain2.com (with no hosting, no need for them)

What I want is to point domain1.com to be www.old-domain.com/page1.html and domain2.com to be www.old-domain.com/page2.html

Is this possible? how?

Thanks in advance for your time

2. blash41

blash41 Registered

update.... same query here...

tnx...

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Adding domain1.com and domain2.com as addon domains will let you make a specific directory the document root for domain1.com and domain2.com, but will not let you point it to a specific file. Still, though, it is close to what you want, so I wanted to mention it.

Addon Domains

What you could do, that would be very close to what you want, is make a subdirectory each for domain1.com and domain2.com, and put a placeholder file, say a simple index.html, in each subdirectory. Then add domain1.com and domain2.com as addon domains, and they will automatically show the index files in their subdirectories that you created.

Note that when you create an addon domain, you specify the "home directory" (or document root) for the addon domain, so this is very close to the functionality you are requesting.