The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I set up my website at root ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GAZ, Sep 10, 2004.

1. GAZ

GAZ Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum so be gentle!

I have been using Cpanel and WHM for a while as a reseller and today I had a dedicated server set up. Yippee!

Anyway, here is my question:

Since I am no longer a reseller can I set up my website at root or do I have to have to create my site as a reseller account anyway? At root level I can't see that there is anyway to use FTP or do a bunch of other things that I used to be able to do with a reseller account.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Gaz.

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

No, you do not have to, root can own accounts (including the one you want to setup for your own use ;) ). If you want to use a reseller account you can.

3. GAZ

GAZ Member

So how would I upload my site to a root account as opposed to a reseller account. I don't see any FTP stuff anywhere?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but it has stumped me!

Gaz.

4. SarcNBit

Log on to WHM as root and create an account. Use that account.

5. ljweb

ljweb Member

Hi Gaz, i know what you mean. You want to upload your site so it appears when you go to your main site address/ip. There isnt a FTP option to do that, its too much of a security risk. Instead you can use SSH to login as root and upload files.

Do a search for a nifty program called WinScp which looks & works like a FTP program, except its over a SSH connection.

The location of the default cpanel page is /etc/httpd/htdocs/ .

#5 ljweb, Sep 11, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  6. SarcNBit

Huh?

Lets say you setup your server with a main IP of 1.1.1.1 and myserver.example.com. There is nothing stopping you from configuring an account for example.com on 1.1.1.1. You would be using the account name/password you setup for that account when logging in.

ljweb is right, you would not want to use root to login via ftp. I would say you do not want to allow root to log in directly at all. If you want to load files on the server, do it as your example.com user. If you want to transfer files around the server as root, do it through SSH after logging in as a wheel group user and su'ing to root. BTW, I would not suggest making the account you setup for example.com 1.1.1.1 your wheel group user. I would create a seperate user for this purpose (among other things, that will relieve you of the username length restriction in cPanel).