The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I setup WHM to offer DNS hosting only?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kilorat, Jun 19, 2011.

1. kilorat

kilorat Registered

If I search for "dns only" I get links to that clustering server setup, but that is only for clustering the DNS servers, I'm trying to make accounts that can only edit DNS. I found the feature list thing, but it doesnt seem possible to do what I want, there's no way I found to add domains without parking them, but that modifies apache, and even checks the domain to make sure it exists, which just gets in the way.
    What I'm trying to do is see if I can offer accounts that just let you add DNS zones for customers with dedicated servers at a hosting company, and give them some interface to it.

Also I'd need some kind of script to mass add zones from my dns server and have them be visible to an account. I'd be happy with it just setting up empty zone files then I could just copy over the files in /var/named with the real zones.

I found /scripts/park but it says its depreciated (by what?) and that actually goes and does a nslookup and fails, which is not useful for what I'm trying to do.

Is any of this even viable, or is WHM not a good fit for this?

#1 kilorat, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you cluster machines to a DNS only machine, all machines in the cluster will be able to see the zones for all other machines in the cluster. You would also need access to those machines to add the clustering.

It seems unlikely most dedicated server customers would be willing to allow their machines to be clustered to a DNS only one due to the fact that they could all see, revise and remove zones on any machine in the cluster.

This is the main issue I see with the setup being envisioned.

Of note, the only way I'm aware that zones can be pushed onto a DNS only machine is to cluster those machines to it, which is why I mention the above.

3. kilorat

kilorat Registered

Thank you very much for the reply, but I didn't mean my dedicated server customers would have cpanel, this is also for colo customers that just want to use us for DNS hosting.
    The idea I had was to just setup a cpanel WHM server, and a couple of dnsonly servers and cluster those. But I don't see any option in WHM to truly do a DNS only kind of thing. It always tries to make a real hosted domain out of things, and I'm not sure if that would scale to 1000s of domains on a single server.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, you are basically trying to do what is being discussed in this thread?

http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/nameserver-only-accounts-165646.html#post893621

They are creating DNS only accounts by using a feature list that only has those options, then assigning a package to use that feature list, then assigning accounts to that package.

The features would be in WHM > Packages > Feature Manager upon creating a new feature list the following:

Advanced DNS Zone Editor
    Password Change
    Simple DNS Zone Editor
    Update Contact Information

Next, you would then go to WHM > Packages > Add a Package area, create the package and select the name of the feature list you'd created. On account creation, you would use the package you created.

Of note, I provide details on an internal case in that thread for "Ability to Trace an email address" not toggling off the icon in cPanel > Email Delivery Route, so you could follow the steps I noted there to remove that as well.

If this is what you are wanting to create, I highly suggest posting to that feature request on how you would like to see DNS only accounts as an option in WHM for account creation similar to email only accounts being creatable using the special theme that exists for those.