The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I suspend a reseller without affecting their sites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fusion6, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Got a situation where a reseller owes money for hosting and I need to suspend their access to control panels so they cannot perform any maintenance functions etc. However I do not want to take down the resellers websites as they are his clients and do not owe me money.

As far as I can see I can only suspend the reseller account but this will also take down all the sites hosted under it?

With my current provider, if for some reason I miss a payment..usually through the bank not playing ball, they are able to suspend my access to all control panels but my customers sites stay online. Those customers however also cannot access their control panels. It's a sort of soft approach to non paying customers where complete suspension of all sites etc is a last resort.

I really need to suspend services for this particular reseller as they are now months behind in payment. Can anyone suggest a way forward with this?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Change his password.

3. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Yeah I thought of that but I would also need to change the passwords for all sites hosted under the reseller account.

If he can still access each individual sites control panel the change of his reseller pass is not going to have much affect. Still, it's an option.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The accounts under him don't owe you right? He can still access those other accounts, assuming he had access to them normally, but he can't add new accounts, nor access his own account.

5. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ah but it's the old carrot and stick approach I am looking for. If he can still perform maintenance of his clients accounts he will be less incentivized to pay what he owes me. However if one of his clients has an issue and he can't fix it because he can't access their control panel, what can he do but come to me and of course unless he pays up that isn't going to work for him.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll have to decide whats best then I suppose. ;)

I would think he'd be more interested in why he cannot access his own account than ignoring that issue and assisting his users instead. If he was logging into his clients accounts using the "Switch Account" menu from within his cPanel, depending on your needs and other Resellers that might depend on it, you could disable that menu here:
    WHM »Server Configuration »Tweak Settings, Accounts that can access a cPanel user account

Have you checked your logs to see if he's actually logging in anywhere? If you've got CSF installed, use the Search System Logs tool. Select the /access_log and type in his cPanel username. If he's been logging in, you'll see it there.