Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Can I use cPanel for the server's main domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Oct 19, 2003.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Gosh, this must be a super "newbie" question, but after wasting an hour searching the forums, I decided I must ask.

I have a dedicated server, the hostname is www3.mydomain.com. I would like to give out some FTP accounts to clients, so they can host some basic pages at http://www3.mydomain.com/client1, http://www3.mydomain.com/client2, etc.

I thought I would use cPanel for myself, and create the FTP accounts using cPanel, like my regular hosting customers can do... but when I go to https://www3.mydomain.com:2083 I get the prompt for cPanel, but it will not accept my root login and password.

Do I need to create an account for myself in WHM? That would seem to cause more problems than it is worth. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

- Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes you need to create an account for yourself.

3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can anyone confirm this? Let's say my server hostname is www3.xyzhosting.com

If I log into WHM, click on "create an account", enter in the domain of "www3.xyzhosting.com" (or should it be just "xyzhosting.com"?) and create a username and password, it will work?

Seems too easy. Are there gotchas?

- Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

There are gotchas if I am not mistaken. You will have problems with e-mail. I would not do it. Just put a site in /usr/local/apache/htdocs and don't use cpanel for that site. Cpanel just makes things easier. It's not impossible to do the tasks without it.