The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i use google (gmail) AND self hosted email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by audre, Sep 10, 2012.

1. audre

audre Member

This is probably a stupid question so I apologize up front. Email is not my area of expertise and I do quite a bit of hacking around to get stuff done.

I would like to use google's email for some email accounts on a particular domain. HOWEVER I'd like to have the majority of the email accounts serviced through the server's own hosted email system so that the users can use SugarCRM.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Wondering if I need to just have ALL the domain's mail using the onboard server's smtp (I'm assuming there is one), and then whoever wants to do their email primarily through gmail's interface will just need to set up auxilliary gmail accounts that 'hook into' the cpanel machine's email system?

Any help is much appreciated.

ALSO if anyone is an expert at setting up email system I'm happy to pay for your time to help me get this figured out.

Thanks

Audre

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. audre

audre Member

thank you :) that does look like a nice plugin!

my question tho was more about how to get both email types (gmail and smtp hosted locally) to work at the same time, on the same machine. the point being that i can't afford to have a google email account for everyone and the free google apps only allows 10 accounts.

so i wanted to use the 10 accounts on gmail for the 'managers' of the organization and then put everyone else on the server's internal email (to use webmail like cube or squirrel) also so that everyone else can have SugarCRM to do customer contact management tied to their email.

-a

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure if it's possible to setup multiple MX entries on one domain / cPanel account, some email accounts use one, the others use another. But I googled for multiple MX entries and came up with this. Not sure if this is helpful or not, there is no mention of per email account there.

Adding multiple MX Entries for a domain - Others Webmaster Forum

5. audre

audre Member

thanks again!

yup -- those are the standard MX entries for setting up google apps as the primary mail handler for a domain.

i'm thinking that what i want to do is not possible at least not the way i wanted to do it originally.

what i THINK i will need to do is use the hosted email for ALL the email accounts so that smtp can be set up with sugarCRM and have it work that way. then for whoever wants to also do Google apps, we will need to use a different, but similar domain -- possibly the .co variant of our main url.

the sad thing is that we really love the features that Google apps offers (5 GIGS of file storage + 10GB email per user!)

thanks again for your help.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thinking out loud here. What if you had an addon domain, say domain.net and you added it to domain.com's account. Then you could create email accounts on domain.net for managers and you could then edit domain.net MX entries to be different than domain.com's MX entries.

7. audre

audre Member

Yup yup... that's what I'm thinking too. The managers can use the less commercially desirable url and the main sales force can use the good domain tied with SugarCRM.

thanks again for all your help - i appreciate the effort :)