The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can not log in to ftp for some users, but cpanel is fine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by torwill, May 4, 2014.

1. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am having some users not being able to log in to FTP server (Pure-FTP), however, they can log in to Cpanel just fine. And SFTP is fine as well.

I have tried running upcp, switched to proftpd and back to pure-ftp, synchronized password in WHM, changed users' password in WHM. but none helped.

WHM 11.42.1 (build 12) on CentOS 5.10 x64
    running pure-ftpd-1.0.36-10.cp1136

Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You may want to start with reviewing the FTP logs, which is in /var/log/messages:

Code:
    grep $user /var/log/messages

Feel free to post the relevant entries here for someone to look at, but please obfuscate usernames and hostnames, for security reasons.

3. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

I have the following in messages,

May 5 00:47:09 XXXSERVERXXX pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] New connection from 127.0.0.1
    May 5 00:47:20 XXXSERVERXXX pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [WARNING] Authentication failed for user [XXXUSERXXX]
    May 5 00:47:24 XXXSERVERXXX pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] Logout.

I also made sure Cpanel Brute Force is not blocking the user.

4. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That was going to be my next question - you might want to disable CpHulk temporarily to make sure it's not blocking anything, though I'd find this unlikely if a) you are in fact logging in from localhost, and b) you can log into some accounts but not others, from the same IP - CpHulk blocks based on IP.

This one is hard to troubleshoot without access to the server, since it looks like you've already done a decent amount of troubleshooting and have tried almost everything I would have done. The authentication for FTP accounts is stored in /etc/proftpd/$user (even if you're using pure-ftp), maybe take a look there and compare a working account to a nonworking account to make sure everything is normal.

All else fails, you may want to consider opening a ticket with cPanel, and updating us with the outcome.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you checked to ensure the users are logging in with the correct username format? For example, the username should be in "user@domain.com" format unless it's the username of the account, in which case it must be just the username on it's own.

Thank you.