The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can not modify account, error as shown on attached pic. please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netbody, Jun 7, 2011.

1. netbody

netbody Member

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This error appears to indicate that the /var/cpanel/users/ file doesn't exist or isn't able to be accessed. If you do not have root SSH access to the machine, please contact your hosting provider for assistance.

Additionally, if you are using WHMCS or some third-party product that is revising the usernames in the /var/cpanel/users files, I would highly suggest contacting that product's support forum instead, since it appears to possibly be related to that product instead (due to the fact the username isn't a normal cPanel username it is pulling up).

3. netbody

netbody Member

hi:
    I have the root access to my server. I am using cpanel/WHM. can you tell me how to fix this? thx

This account has the same problem in 2 different dedicated server, I used remote transfer to copied this account from Server A to Server B, both server with this account can not be modify, and showing up the same error.
    I've tried to terminated this account in Server B, and re-transfer the account again, but nothing changed. same issue.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you using WHMCS or some 3rd party plugin? The username is not the normal username listed as seen in the picture. You can check /var/cpanel/users for the file for that user to see if the username inside the file is properly set to that user's name or something else.

5. netbody

netbody Member

i don't have WHMCS, but I do have lighttpd flv server installed into the dedicated server by some one, is this causing the problem??
    this account is only a 3GB size forum(php type) . i am nut about the Putty, what command do i use to check/correct this issue.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In root SSH, you would cat the contents of the file:

Code:
    cat /var/cpanel/users/username
    Where username is the cPanel username of the account. Check the USER=username line in the file has the correct username. If it does not, change to the correct username in the file and save the file. I don't know how you normally edit files, so you would use the program you normally use to edit files.

After revising the file, then run:

Code:
    /scripts/updateuserdomains

7. netbody

netbody Member

thank you, i've followed your step, and I can see the full strange user name of my account (showing like this: my correct account name.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX), those '.xxxx...' i don't know how they came out。is it a hacker did this?

my last question is : How do i edit/correct the user name in shell? because i can not do anything in cPanel/WHM at this moment. thx

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I already provided the steps in root SSH to use. You would cat the file using the command provided to see if the USER=username.somethingelse in that file. If it does show this, then edit the file using vi or nano to remove the extra characters. If you aren't certain how to use nano or vi commands, then you would need to refer to an online guide for using those editors in root SSH.

The command to open a file in vi is:

Code:
    vi /var/cpanel/users/username
    In nano, it is:

Code:
    nano -w /var/cpanel/users/username
    After editing the file, then save it using the command in that editor. Again, please refer to documentation online on how to save files in the editor.

As for a hacker, I highly doubt a hacker did it. This is why I asked if you had a 3rd party plugin. It is likely the one you noted edited the user in some fashion. You need to ask their support mechanism if they did. We do not create usernames generated like that.

9. netbody

netbody Member

thank you very much.
    followed your instruction, I changed the user name successful, and i can modify the account now. :D

10. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Hi
    Got the same error
    After some investigation, I found that the error only occurs on accounts
    * that has been transferred to the actual servar
    * that was owned by reseller on the old server and the reseller is not present on the new server

Following the instructions from cPanelTristan above worked fine for me

11. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Hi again
    Cheked on a couple of other servers and there are loads of user files that have the same problem.
    All of them has a . and a lot of charachters after username
    cd /var/cpanel/users
    grep 'USER='*
    shows
    account1:USER=account1.dR35D3mQBkHAfvYg8sdLgBr8uxoE0OFV
    account2:USER=account2.nyIBNyvNTzw__6UytKZ7C1LTv952wNtM
    account3:USER=account3.b6gEeTNonZAVgGHpPx2xMBBKhi9wsMBm
    account4:USER=account4.Lihm_OZODnrj8MiirOpo9M5IIFRnPrN8
    account5:USER=account5.tJzqkXYUTGnDQZoSkkqhHRC98JvfoJM4
    account6:USER=account6
    account7:USER=account7
    account8:USER=account8.I9DBG0_CIpfIIs3Slbg8oaY3kOuoNye0
    etc
    (accounts real names in list above replaced with accountx)

Since there are hundreds of files in different servers having the extra characters in USER, I do not want to edit manually, but ..

my brain seems not to work as it should today, so I can't find out a way to replace all (tried a couple of solutions using sed, but just can't get it to work)

Anyone who has a working command for deleting all surplus characters (starting with the . ) in all usersfiles ?

12. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can anyone please indicate exactly what application / plugin or process is renaming the username inside the /var/cpanel/users files? I am trying to find out for what reason this is done and prevent it from happening.

We have only Softaculous and RV Sitebuilder on the servers that have been affected by this, so I'm guessing it's one of those.

#12 4u123, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  13. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

As far as I can find out, it is accounts that has been transferred between servers some time in the past.

If transfer still creates the problem, I can't say, but since the "modify account"-function now checks the value of USER in the user file while it did not do so earlier, the problem has not been an issue earlier.

14. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I've been doing some checking and this seems to have affected more than a third of all our users.

As the random string always starts with a "." we should be able to clean this up fairly easily. I will log a ticket with cpanel to ask them the best way to go about this. I'm surprised they are not aware of the issue.

15. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I suppose you could check the dates on these files and attempt to modify an account, and/or move an account from another server to troubleshoot and try and track down whats doing this. I'm not seeing this here on any of my servers, none have Softaculous or RV Sitebuilder though.

16. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can you please tell me if you have transferred any of your accounts from other servers in the last two years?

17. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes I have. I checked these usernames on all servers this morning before posting. None have been edited in this manner.

Do you have an account you can move to troubleshoot?

18. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What ticket number was submitted about the issue? The command to clear off extraneous characters would be the following (first making a full backup of all /var/cpanel/users folders):

Code:
    cp -R /var/cpanel/users /var/cpanel/users.bak110830
    sed -i "s/\(\USER=[a-z0-9-]\+\)\.[^\s]\+/\1/g" /var/cpanel/users/*