The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can receive but no send?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chazzle, Nov 27, 2003.

1. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

I have seen a lot of posts in the forums about addresses not being able to receive mail, but none about not able to send. I have a client with a reseller account that receives mail just fine but cannot send. He has 3 accounts under his reseller account and they all can send and receive just fine. I noticed that in the exim_mainlog that when the reseller sends a message to an address on the server, everything works, but when he tries to send to a remote address it is always "unrouteable mail domain," and then exim sends the message notifying the reseller that the message failed. He also has a script on his site that will send mail to remote addresses, but I guess that is coming from user nobody.
    This is the only domain on my server having this problem and I just cant figure it out.

Any suggestions?

2. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

Enable SMTP Authentication

Ok i finally found out why I couldnt send. I had to add the SMTP authentication information to my email program. My question is why?? I have not had this enabled on any of my accounts before. Can someone please tell me why this is the only account that has to have this enabled? Also I had some problems with another account that could not send to remote domains but if this has to be enabled then if I have employees that cant send mail then they would have to have the main account username and password to be able to login to the SMTP server. Also when the employee uses a webmail program, he/she does not have the option to set SMTP auth. This is not good.

Can anyone answer this for me??

Thanks

#2 chazzle, Nov 29, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  3. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

Ok now it gets real weird, at lest from my point of view. I have tested all accounts on this domain and all have failed to send to remote addresses. I set one account to use SMTP authentication and it was able to send mail. So I decided to test the other accounts that do not have SMTP auth enabled. They all work now!!! I even disabled the SMTP auth from the one account and now it can send mail. Also the webmail is able to send mail.

So what is the deal with this? I enabled SMTP auth and mail can send. I disabled SMTP auth and mail can send. What caused this? Was something blocking the virtual users from sending external mail or did it not recognize the users? I am just trying to understand everything for future reference.

Thanks all...

#3 chazzle, Nov 29, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003