The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can send emails but not receive?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nycrc, May 7, 2012.

1. nycrc

nycrc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello newbie here.

My organization has tasked me with setting up new email accounts. The ones that were set up prior to my arrival work fine, but I have just set one up for myself and after sending a test email to my gmail, my reply from gmail to my newly created email address failed. I get the following message from gmail:

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <jonathan@nycivilrights.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (state 14).

I went to intodns.com and everything looks fine except for this part:
    mx.JPG

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm completely new to this/cpanel so please pretend I'm a 6 year-old :) Thanks!

Regards

2. nycrc

nycrc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    oh it also says :

Your SOA EXPIRE number is: 300. That is NOT OK

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It looks like you are using cogateway.com (admin-networks.org) as possibly your inbound spam filter.

nycivilrights.org. 1200 IN MX 0 relay.admin-networks.org.

1. that MX is not a cPanel server [especially not the one where your website is]
    2. relay.admin-networks.org is likely an email spam filtering gateway that scrubs your incoming mail
    3. www.admin-networks.org redirects to www.cogateway.com -- and the website advertises that provide antivirus/antispam services

My guess is that your agency pays cogateway.com for spam filtering services, that their server is configured to accept mail ONLY for legitimate @nycivilrights.org email accounts, filter it, and then forward it on to your cPanel server. So, if you add a new account to your cPanel server, you probably have to log into some interface that cogateway.com provides or call them up on the phone and let them know that you need to filter an additional email account.

Mike