The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can server name be same than my domain name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan More, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Jonathan More

Jonathan More Active Member

Hi.
    I just bought dedicated server to host my clients websites and I would like to change it to use my own domain name for server name and dns.
    What does it mean in WHM: "It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account." Surely I would also host my own website there as own account so does this cause some conflict? Lets say I have my domain www.mydomain.com and would like to have server name as server.mydomain.com and dns ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.

Is this something I should not do?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Jonathan,

You would want the server's name to be server.mydomain.com correct, but not mydomain.com because you would be using mydomain.com as an account on the machine.

How it works, the hostname (server's name) is owned by the user nobody in cPanel, which means that hostname cannot also have a cPanel account with the same hostname. If the hostname were mydomain.com, then you couldn't use mydomain.com as an account you create in WHM > Create a New Account area. Thus, the hostname should be a subdomain on the main domain, so server.mydomain.com would work fine for the hostname.

After using server.mydomain.com as the hostname, you can definitely create an account mydomain.com on the machine. The only conflict would occur if you tried to create a cPanel account after that with server.mydomain.com as the domain name for the new cPanel account.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this behavior.

Thanks!