The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can some one improve this command please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sleuth1, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Hi this command works fine to quickly move a useraccount from one server to another with root ssh on both machunes , problem is is creates spagghetti in the the /home/ directory of the server it is being copied to , that is is unzips straight into home itself , I want to preserve the account as a directory , can any one who knows their commands improve this , I have tried a couple of changes and just get ( cowardly refusal .. ) ( no tty ..) etc The thing is it can move 100 mb in a few minutes , so it could be a good tool ..

(cd /home/username/; tar -czpf - .) | ssh -l root hostIP "(cd /home/; tar -xzpvf - )"

#all one command on one line
    #will ask for root password of destination machine

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I don't know, but how about
    cd /home; tar -czpf username

Sorry, probably useless, but I figured I'd try.:)

3. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input casey , I may have already tried that but i will give it a go and see what gives.

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following, although a simplyfied example, is a good method for a manual Server-to-Server transfer, but there are some caveats.

Sending Server
    cd /home; tar czvf accountID.tar.gz accountID; scp accountID.tar.gz root@receivingserver.com:/home/yourtmp

Enter root PW for receiving Server when asked.

Receiving Server
    cd /home/yourtmp tar xzvf accountID.tar.gz

Although one can do a transfer/install with a one line command, it is not advisable. It is also wise to always transfer to a tmp dir. on the receiving Server to unpack, then copy to the 'home' dir. This way, if there is a problem, you have the originally transferred file(s) in case of any file corruption and don't have to do another transfer.

The above does not include transfer of various files; i.e., domlogs, mysql db's or anything else not in the accountID dir. It also presumes the Receiving Server does not already have an accountID by the same name. If one only wants to transfer what is in the 'public_html' dir. then add that to the above path of the Sending Server.

5. troxalias

troxalias Well-Known Member

Although i don't like such on liners because they are VERY dangerous here is a slightly modified version of your command that will do the work:

(cd /home; tar -czpf - ./username) | ssh -l root hostIP "(cd /home/; tar -xzpvf - )"