The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone help me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrisa, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Chrisa

Chrisa Member

Ok i read and went threw some steps a guy wrote yesterday to setup my nameservers First i went to (Edit setup) went to Primary Nameserver and put in ns1.myhost.com then i hit assign a ip then, i hit add a A entry for this name server all that went threw and worked . Then i went to names4ever where i bought the name and updated the name servers the ns1.myhost.com btw i did two ns1 and ns2. Its been over 24 and i can not see my site yet i figure thats a bad thing. this morning when i logged on to cpanel i got a pop up that said :

Hostname A Entry Missing!

The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname (host). This is generally because the entry was never added. However this could also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would like to attempt to automaticlly add the entry,

what eles can i do im going out of my mind

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Chrisa,

To clarify, you bought the domain (i.e. www.abc.com) and then set the domain to use your nameservers (ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com).

Did you actually register the nameservers (create host records) with the registrar? Each nameserver has to have a host record.

3. Chrisa

Chrisa Member

ok

Im kinda a newbie to this i have no idea what you mean but let me ask you this i bought the server from managed.com are they suppose to give me the Primary Nameserver or do i make my own ?

4. bamasbest

You setup the nameservers as you see fit.

Let's assume you've configured the 'box' appropriately.....

You then went to your registrar and registered your domain and used the 2 nameservers that you created on your box as your domain's nameservers.

Now, what you need to do is register the nameservers. Your registrar should have a link to register a nameserver/host. This is very similar to registering the domain in process, but you will now be registering your 'ns1' and 'ns2' with their respective IP addresses.

BTW - there should be no fee to register your nameservers/hosts.

5. Chrisa

Chrisa Member

ok

ok so do i go to where i bought the name or do i do that in cpanel

6. bamasbest

Go to names4ever. You may need to call their 24 hour line since many of the discount registrars don't normally have host record creation links obviously posted.

7. drackox

drackox Active Member

this might work

do this:

pico /etc/named.conf

Near the top of that file there are two entries that say rndc-key or rndckey

then do:
    pico /etc/rndc.conf
    and remove the - from rndc-conf

find the one with a dash and remove the dash so it's all one word then....

/scripts/fixndc

then:
    If you are using Fedora you should also pico /etc/sysconfig/named and comment out the 'ROOTDIR=' (put a # in front of it)

This will fix the RNDC Errors you have been having along with that annoying popup...

Your RNDC Bind stuff will function as it should function

do the scripts/fixndc twice...