Can we change main IP without (at least too much) downtime?


Active Member
Dec 27, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Currently all of my domains point to and

My provider told me that if I want to upgrade speed to 100 mbps I need to change IPs.

However, if I change Ips all 1000 domains that points to and will fail.

So how do I change main IP without downtime?


Well-Known Member
Feb 25, 2010
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
No matter what you do, you are going to have to make DNS changes, and because of the way Internet DNS works, there is going to be at least some delay in DNS propagation. You can set very low TTL (time-to-live) values in your DNS zones, which in theory will make the records expire faster in servers' DNS caches, but ultimately, the basic problem is that DNS servers all over the globe cache DNS data and refresh it at different rates.

Changing nameserver IP addresses can cause even more of a delay, because those changes must go through the root nameservers, via your domain registrar, and those changes can take even longer to propagate than a simple change to an A record, to give an example.

Any DNS change will take some time to propagate globally, no matter what you do, and there is no way to completely eliminate or work around that. This is due to the way Internet DNS works, not something that cPanel has any control over.


Active Member
Apr 2, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sorry to dig this post up but I'm n the exact same situation. We're upgrading our connection speed and changing IPs in the process. I realize there will be no way to eliminate downtime but want to minimize it as much as possible. These are steps I assume we will need to make:
Change main IP
Change Nameserver IPs
Change NS1 and NS2 IP records at registrar

From my understanding the propagation could take up to 48 hours, so we'll probably wait until a weekend. Are there any steps or changes (such as TLS since I've heard it mentioned before) that could help reduce downtime? From my understanding the downtime will be completely dependent on the registrar's update of NS1 and NS2, am I correct about this? Any insight would be appreciated.