The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we Cluster DNS in 2 servers and use the same ns for all their domains?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by phg, Nov 11, 2005.

1. phg

phg Registered

Hello,

I have 2 clustered servers. I have set DNS role in both servers to "Synchronize Changes" so changing a dns record will be synchronized to both servers.

currently I use ns1.domain.com (66.197.250.5) and ns2.domain.com (66.197.250.6) for the first server, and ns5.domain.com (66.96.238.85) and ns6.domain.com (66.96.238.86) for the 2nd server.

This way I have to set diffrent nameservers for domains hosted in any server. I used ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com for a domain , and ns5.domain.com and ns6.domain.com for another.

The question is how can I set dns, to get the best results. I preffer using ns1.domain.com (66.197.250.5) and ns2.domain.com (66.96.238.85) for all my domains, but what if one of the dns servers or a server itself go down? :confused:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's no need to have 4 nameservers in your situation, you only need 2, one on each server. To migrate things not that they're setup it would probably make sense to point ns2 to the IP address of ns6 and ns6 to the IP address of ns2 and then change their nameserver records at your registrar. Doing it that way, there's no issue with DNS propagation.

3. phg

phg Registered

You mean I can have just 2 nameservers and have them set to the following IP addresses and everything will work?

ns1.domain.com => 66.197.250.5 (1st server main shared IP)
    ns2.domain.com => 66.96.238.85 (2nd server main shared IP)

what if the domain is transfered from a server to the other server of the same cluster? do I need to change the dns setting in domain registrar? if this is the case, how should I set it?

I'm looking for a way to do domain transfers without doing any manual dns setting or with the minimum settings.

Thank you

#3 phg, Nov 12, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2005