The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you run POP3/IMAP and Microsoft Exchange together...?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by fearmydesign, Apr 1, 2011.

1. fearmydesign

fearmydesign Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. From what I understand you 'either' have to send emails through your local server (linux centos) or through a Microsoft Exchange server... is this correct? or can you have emails going through my linux centos using pop3/imap and then being received by an exchange server before it gets to the final destination...?

We are trying to use Microsoft exchange online services and they are asking for us to change the main MX record, which will mean that all emails will be handled by the Exchange server, correct? wouldn't this be the best option? because the IT guy here keeps telling me that we can leave the linux server and use the pop3/imap for some emails and the exchange for other emails using the same domain name...

2. fearmydesign

Ok, so... we've been trying this and so far it's working... not sure if this will ever help anyone else, but I will try my best to answer my own questions and write my findings here.

So our first MX priority is the local mail server (exim) on the Linux server, then we set up a second MX record with a priority of 10 and pointed it to the Microsoft Exchange server. We did this because we don't want to convert all 60 email addresses to Exchange Server... we just need a hand full of emails to go through the exchange, so we want these to coexist in a sense.

So our Outlook is being setup as an exchange and also as a pop3 (as 2 different accounts but holding the same folders) and combining these two for proper synchronization on the computer, laptop, iPhone, or iPad....

...as I am writing this, I am confuing myself more and more... but it seems to be working so far...

3. fearmydesign

I am just wondering if any of you are using the Linux server's local mail exchanger and also have the Microsoft exchange on the another end connected? is this an overkill? has this setting created any issues for you?

Hope to hear back from some people, thank you