Cannot access cPanel as SSL has expired

chris0147

Aug 28, 2015
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi all,

I have trouble getting access to cPanel as the SSL certificate has been expired. I cannot be able to login to the server via putty due to network connection has been refused so I can't be able to renew the SSL certificate. I have got AutoSSL on my VPS, but it did not renew the SSL for the domain.

At all I am getting this:
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from server.myservername.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_REVOKED

server.myservername.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to server.myservername.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be server.myservername.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit server.myservername.com right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.
Can you please help me how I can get access to my VPS to reset or new SSL certificate as I have tried everything to restart the cPanel but I have no luck? :(

Last edited by a moderator:

chris0147

Aug 28, 2015
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you tried using the IP address?
hxxps://12.34.56:2087
Yes I did, I can now be able to login.

I can see the reason why my ssl certificate has expired because it has not been renew it by AutoSSL.

In the manage SSL hosts I can see that most domains are SSL which are included myservername.com.

I can see this:

server.myservername.com
12.34.56.123 shared Yes No /var/www/html nobody

1/1/70 Error
Error
Delete
server.myservername.com
* dedicated No No /var/www/html nobody

This is the reason why I cant be able to connect to my WHM and cPanel via SSL as the SSL certificate has expired.

How I can be able to renew the SSL certificate for server.myservername.com?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Reactions: chris0147

chris0147

Aug 28, 2015
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Similar issue mentioned here:
New Thread - Error when trying to remove SSL hosts
I see it on my servers as well.

This won't prevent the hostname SSL from auto renewing though I don't think. The hostname SSL will still auto renew.
How did you solved the problem?

I can see the name of the account for server.myservername.com name to nobody.

How I can change to owner as I am using centos 7 64 bit??

Do I have to edit in the httpd.conf or login via WHM?

I need an instruction how I could do this as I want to get it to solve asap

gopkris2005

Jan 9, 2007
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
You can try this would help.

cpanelkb.net/reset-ssl-certificate-via-command-line-using-api/

Yes I did, I can now be able to login.

I can see the reason why my ssl certificate has expired because it has not been renew it by AutoSSL.

In the manage SSL hosts I can see that most domains are SSL which are included myservername.com.

I can see this:

server.myservername.com
12.34.56.123 shared Yes No /var/www/html nobody

1/1/70 Error
Error
Delete
server.myservername.com
* dedicated No No /var/www/html nobody

This is the reason why I cant be able to connect to my WHM and cPanel via SSL as the SSL certificate has expired.

How I can be able to renew the SSL certificate for server.myservername.com?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I cannot be able to login to the server via putty due to network connection has been refused so I can't be able to renew the SSL certificate.
Hello,

It's likely a good idea to solve this issue first so that you have command line access to investigate further. Are any firewall rules or "WHM >> Host Access Control" rules setup to block SSH connections?

Note that generally you'd reset the hostname via "WHM >> Change Hostname" so that a new AutoSSL certificate for the correct hostname is setup.

Thank you.

chris0147

Aug 28, 2015
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

It's likely a good idea to solve this issue first so that you have command line access to investigate further. Are any firewall rules or "WHM >> Host Access Control" rules setup to block SSH connections?

Note that generally you'd reset the hostname via "WHM >> Change Hostname" so that a new AutoSSL certificate for the correct hostname is setup.

Thank you.
Hello cPanelMichael.

I have checked on the Host Access Control, I cant see anything about the setup to block SSH connections, but this is the only one I can see:

i.imgur.com/PYXrWTL.png

I have changed the hostname via WHM >> ChangeHostname, but I still get this:

i.imgur.com/DnwBFdU.png

Do you know why and what the trouble is?

I am getting so frustrated as I have tried everything but I am getting no luck to get access to the cpanel. :(

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the system?

Thank you.

chris0147

Aug 28, 2015
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the system?

Thank you.
I have open a support ticket using the link in your signature so I hope you will be able to look at the system to find out why and what the trouble is so you can be able to solve it.

Please let me know when you have found the problem and solve the problem.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

To update, here's part of the response sent by one of our Technical Analysts on this support ticket:

After taking a look at your server it appears that a valid certificate is now being loaded when navigating to your servers host name.

The issue with the host name being reset however will require you to configure the servers hostname at the host level otherwise it will be reset to the current hostname anytime the server is rebooted.

For more information on how the hostname is set, please refer to the documentation page linked to below.

=========================================================
How to set container name, hostname, nam...
=========================================================

If you do not have the ability to make changes at the host level, you will need to contact your hosting provider to find out the steps needed to update the servers host name using their systems(typically this is something that can be done through your hosts web-console).

Once you have set the host name with the servers host, the issue should no longer pop up and you won't have to worry about it being changed at every reboot.
Thank you.