The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Cannot add a new addondomain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by durangod, Jan 5, 2017.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I dont have a typical setup here. I run my DNS via free cloudflare.

The setup:

I have site1.com up and running with cloudflare DNS and it also has its own cpanel account on a dedicated server. Both site1.com and site2.com are both showing the same DNS

The issue:
    I log into cpanel and try to add a new addon domain site2.com and it tells me this:

Now that would make perfect sense if the domain was actually pointed somewhere other than cloudflare but its not. It is pointed and it has propagated to the new DNS earlier today.

However since i am not able to add the new addon domain it sounds like one of the following is true:

1. You cant add any addon domains via cloudflare because the dedicated server sees that as a remote domain and i have remote domains turned off.
    2. Site1 even though working fine is not able to add a addon domain because site2 has to be added as a separate account on cloudflare.
    3. Site1 is not able to add a addon domain because the A records have to be included in the site1 account DNS entries on cloudflare.
    4. I broke it.. lol

The addon domain should not be seen as a remote domain simple because the site1 is not a remote domain, and they both have the same DNS.

So why is this not allowing me to add the addon domain?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Visit this area:
    WebHost Manager ┬╗Server Configuration ┬╗Tweak Settings, Domains tab, and enable this setting:
    Try adding the addon again.

3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK that worked, i had read before that i might have to do that but actually im not quite clear why.

If domainA has a DNS of ns1.whatever and domainB has a DNS of ns1.whatever then why would domainA be allowed to be added as a primary domain but domainB cannot be added as a addon domain.

I dont even have any dns records set up yet with cloudflare for domainB and yet the html index still loads. I did add it to cloudflare but for some reason cloudflare did not like it and its not on my list, i have no idea why, no message or anything from them.

1. So if i am correct here, this means that all primary domains HAVE to be added to cloudflare and CAN be added as primary domains with cPanel. But addon domains do not have to be added to cloudflare at all (not even in the main domain account DNS)

2. Also if i am correct on this, it means that any addon domain regardless of its DNS. If that DNS is ANYTHING other than the hostname DNS or the main domain custom DNS then it is considered a remote domain.

Are both 1 and 2 above correct?

and one more..

3. It also means that all of the addon domains use the main domain protocols with cloudflare. Even when there are no DNS records for the addon domain.

Thanks..

#3 durangod, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK i found this, it helps somewhat to understand, however not sure what happened to my other account i added, i guess ill have to recreate it.

Can I use add on domains with CloudFlare?

UPDATE: The accounts were there it was a cache deal, just refresh the cloudflare main page and go back in and youll see them listed.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Happy to hear you got it going, thanks for posting an update.

6. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    YW, im guessing since everything is moved over now and all the domains are working again it should be another 6mos or so before im back here asking questions on something else or when/if things change. I appreciate all the help during this move and now its time to get settled to the new workings. In our business "no news is good news" for the most part.

Thanks

Infopro likes this.