The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot boot correctly *drive mounting error*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ph33r420, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ph33r420

ph33r420 Active Member

I have 2 drives fail on me just recently and they were removed. Now I cannot boot correctly because the system is still trying to mount the drives. How can i fix this?

your responce is MUCH apperciated!!!!

2. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

What OS are you using?

I take it the machine is in front of you and you have physical access to it?

It sounds as though you need to prevent a secondary drive from being mounted as it failed, can you be a bit more specific please. :)

3. ph33r420

ph33r420 Active Member

FC2 and it keeps trying to mount hdb1. I've since taken out hdb and hdd, and moved hdc to hdb.

I can't start any cpanel services at all but I can log into the system.

#3 ph33r420, Jan 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You will need to edit

/etc/fstab

by the sounds of things, you need to make changes to reflect the new device/partition names/numbers. Just make the changes as required or

# fdisk -l

# df

# cat /etc/fstab

and let us see the results of those so we can assist you further.

If you labelled the old partitions, /backup etc - then you may also need to put the actual device/partition name instead of the LABEL.

Does this help?

5. ph33r420

ph33r420 Active Member

i made it real simple. rm -rf / =( I messed up again when i was partitioning my other spare drives. I labled them as matrix 1 and 2 and mounted them as such. I should of done home2 and home3 so WHM would automatically create new accounts in thous big drives. I've dones some tests on another server messing with fstab. i partitioned an extra drive and mounted it, then i edited fstab by totaly removing the mount. I then tried to reboot and it wouldn't fully boot. It stopped after tring to mount the drive even thou i removed it from fstab.

So... how can i just unmount and repartition/mount in WHM so i can mount them correctly this time?

sorry if i'm not making sence because i'm extremely tired.

6. ph33r420

ph33r420 Active Member

bump.......

7. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

you can find answers to your questions about mounting/partitioning drives in linux at google.com - as your situation is far outside the scope of what Cpanel does.

8. ph33r420

ph33r420 Active Member

That's all i needed to know. god.. thank you sir.
    Now, is it possible to move a user's directory to a niew drive? or should i just back it up, mount the big drive as /home2, and WHM will auto maticaly put the new user there because it's the biggest drive.

9. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

not totally sure i understand what you're asking... but yes it's possible to move directories between drives... see 'mv' and 'cp' commands.

your second option will also work but not the way you think. WHM won't put new users there because it's the biggest drive, but because any thing starting with /home (so /home2 /home3 as well) - this is by default, it can be changed in whm - will be used for user directories. I haven't had multiple /home directories though, so I'm not positive how it divides them up.