The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot cd to dir /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by azweb, Nov 19, 2004.

1. azweb

azweb Member

Hi, I had problems with email not able to send or receive. I read the solutions here and once I added "Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/*", the email was up and running. But when I use "tail -f /var/log/maillog" I get "Cannot cd to dir /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/"

Can anyone tell me how to fix this or is this not even a problem since my email seems to be working fine and is catching SPAM coming in. Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have the following set in /etc/exim.conf:

split_spool_directory = yes

Then you need to make that change as you have in MailScanner.conf, plus:

1. Did you set the following directive for MailScanner too:

Split Exim Spool = yes

2. Did you restart MailScanner, this should do it:

killall -HUP MailScanner

3. Did you precreate the directories 0-9 a-z A-Z in /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/

If you have manually set the split_spool_directory = no in exim.conf, then you should not do any of the changes above or add the /* to the Incoming Queue Dir.

3. azweb

azweb Member

Hi. I did everything except "precreate the directories 0-9 a-z A-Z", wasn't sure how to do that.
    But I decided to set split_spool_directory = no in exim.conf and when I "tail -f /var/log/maillog" I get the following so everything seems to be working fine now.

"Nov 19 10:11:15 Server cpanelpop[19785]: Session Closed host=xxxx.xxx ip=xx.xx.xx. user=xx@xxx.com realuser=xx@axxx.com totalxfer=188"

Is there an advantage to use split_spool_directory from "no" to "yes"?

Thanks for your help.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Only if your server has a heavy email load (for example, a lot of large active mailing lists), otherwise you're not missing anything by setting it to "no".