The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot commit mailips creating account error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rekabis, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rekabis

rekabis Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am having a very strange issue with a *.construction TLD. When I go and create the account, I get the following error message:

Code:
    Cannot commit mailips: no transaction open at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 491. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 491. Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE::_stage_data(Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE=HASH(0x5dcdf90), "mailips", ARRAY(0x568d298)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 335 Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE::update(Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE=HASH(0x5dcdf90), "force", 0) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains.pm line 25 Cpanel::Userdomains::updateuserdomains() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Accounts/Create.pm line 1325 Whostmgr::Accounts::Create::_wwwacct("quota", "unlimited", "bwlimit", 0, "user", "fredex", "digestauth", "n", "is_restore", ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Accounts/Create.pm line 1928 Whostmgr::Accounts::Create::__createaccount("maxaddon", 0, "maxpop", "unlimited", "username", "fredex", "hasuseregns", 1, "contactemail", ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Accounts/Create.pm line 1978 Whostmgr::Accounts::Create::_createaccount("maxaddon", 0, "maxpop", "unlimited", "username", "fredex", "hasuseregns", 1, "contactemail", ...) called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr5.pl line 709 main::wwwacct() called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr5.pl line 233

Essentially, the account creation process locks up, with the error message on the screen but with a grey screen above it and the account creation dialog stuck at “setting passwords”. And just to specify, my passwords are nothing special, I first tried:

õŗŀÄè?}Ôŝ>þ³°ügÓ¦ŦúČlĨŖÛ¦áĤĺ0ÀĐÖ

then something simpler,

MVnTWM(!,_R/jDmlI@OGB-V4yOg2]Oux

and finally

OQUXM81lFFWmpHWcTEe1QlCbGNeqR3Hc

with no difference. All three produced the same error.

In order to reset everything I have to SSH into the server and remove all the cruft from the creation process, as defined here and here sambazziarcs.blogspot.ca/2014/09/cpanel-whm-database-owner-with-the-username-already-exists.html and here webhostpython.com/billing/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=95, in order to roll back the account creation to square one. Plus double-checking httpd.conf to ensure apache settings aren’t in there anymore, manually deleting the account directory and manually deleting the DNS zone from WHM.

#1 rekabis, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  2. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

Can you please try to update cPanel forcefully using command /scripts/upcp --force

rekabis likes this.
  3. rekabis

rekabis Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Got another interesting error message from one of the pages I referenced:

root@ns01 [~]# /scripts/updateuserdomains
    Cannot commit mailips: no transaction open at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 491.

4. rekabis

rekabis Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have started the forced cPanel update script, will post once it’s done. Lots of alerts on my phone as service certs get replaced by self-signed ones…

5. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

It appears to be related to the file /etc/mailips. Can you please check if the file is proper? and has proper parameters in it..

6. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

Might be /etc/mailips configuration file locked using chattr. Can you please check if there is set chattr for the mailips file.

use command to check chattr
    lsattr /etc/mailips

7. rekabis

rekabis Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, it appears that the forced rebuild did the trick. Thank you very much SysSachin! I have been able to successfully create the account in question.

For the record, whenever an account creation failed I had to clear the domain information out the following:
    /etc/passwd - user name
    /etc/group - group name
    /etc/userdomains - domain info
    /var/cpanel/users/[domainuser] - rm -rf any directory with the account name
    /var/cpanel/userdata/[domainuser] - rm -rf any directory with the account name
    /var/cpanel/databases - rm any *.json file with the account name. Also look for *.cache and *.yaml if your system is old.
    /var/named - rm domain zone file entry
    /etc/named.conf - zone file entry appears twice, be aware of that.

Once every thing is confirmed to be clean, execute the scripts
    /scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    then restart httpd

Go into WHM and double-check the list of DNS zones, if your domain still exists, manually delete the DNS zone.

Finally go to your hosting root (mine being /var/www but yours could just as easily be /srv) and delete the account directory.

At this point, things should be cleared out enough for you to re-create the account without running into issues. If account creation continues to fail, try using the forced update command provided by SysSachin earlier in this thread.

I hope this helps anyone else with this same problem.

Edit: This forced rebuild also helped with a few other things, including a symlink race condition that cropped back up a month or three ago, despite having been initially set up in the correct way years ago, and a very schizophrenic AutoSSL setup (Let’s Encrypt) that just never worked right from the get-go, probably because I had gone through two third-party tools before it came natively to cPanel.

#7 rekabis, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The issue likely stemmed from the immutable attribute on the /etc/mailips file. You can find discussion of the /etc/mailips file on the following thread:

SOLVED - The system failed to lock the file

Thank you.