The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Connect to Mail server using email client

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by redcable, Aug 30, 2005.

1. redcable

redcable Active Member

Since sunday I have not been able to connect to my mail server. I get the following errors.

Task 'work account - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

This is what I know.

Webmail works fine, can send and recieve messages via horde or squirrlemail.
    Other domains on the server can send and recieve email fine from outlook or outlook express.
    MX record is correct.
    Outlook server settings are correct, have been rechecked, and rechecked.
    Reverse DNS is functioning.
    I can telnet in on port 25 and 110 on other domains on the dedicated server, but cannot tellnet in on the domain in question.

I have been chasing the problem for the last few days, any thoughts or insight would be appreciated, thanks much in advance.

2. DigitalSurgeon

DigitalSurgeon Well-Known Member

You need to fix the problem by contacting your ISP or checking your network/anti-virus/firewall settings. Check your ISP's SMTP server in your email settings if they have blocked your remote SMTP access.

3. redcable

redcable Active Member

yep, checked and not blocked. Also I have other email accounts on the same server but under diffrent domains. Anything else you can think of checking?

Thanks much

4. ecwebtechie

ecwebtechie Well-Known Member

if you have any firewalls in the server, flush it too

you might have checked.. let me any way put it here.did you do a ping test .check whether it is resolving to the proper IP

i do not recommend this step.. you can give a try if you loose patience

take a backup of the domain in the server and recreate the account